Magalloway Cave 7-1-2016

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeRmudfun

Reaction score
The second hike we did on our mini vacation was to go and search for the Magalloway Cave. Not much for views, but a cool trek none the less. We have been searching for it and this time it was a success. We travelled as far as we felt comfortable in the SUV, then found a spot we could pull over leaving just enough room for another vehicle to get by. We were pretty sure there hadn’t been another vehicle in the area from quite some time though. We grabbed the backpack and headed out on foot.
This time we had narrowed it down a better location, so we followed the road until we found the best place to start the bushwhack. Unfortunately the day was not bright and it had been raining off and on. The bushwhack brought us through high vegetation and we got drenched almost to the waist. Thankfully the bushwhack was only about 0.75 miles.
We did find cave and was able to understand why we had not found it before. Besides looking in the wrong place, the cave does not stick out as it is a hole in the ground and not a hole in the side of a rocky outcrop. This cave is often found by snowmobilers and we would imagine it is a lot easier to find with the snow packing down all the vegetation.
We had a deer who was curious about what we were doing in her neck of the woods, but she decided to stay only long enough for one picture. Before entering the cave, we made a lot of noise and slowly worked our way down into the dark with headlamps and flashlights. We also checked the nooks and crannies for animals and snakes. The cave was completely vacant except for 2 small spiders.
There is not much info available about this cave. We believe the cave is a natural cave. It appears that the ceiling caved in at some point. There is loose rock all over the bottom of the cave and it is hard to tell how far down the floor originally was. The cave is about 10” wide, but has a square opening. It goes down at an angle for about 30-35’. It is very dark in there.
This was on our adventure bucket list for some time now and we are glad to take it off now.

Last edited:
Wow! I looked for this a couple of times (even with 3 different waypoints from snowmobiling maps), but couldn't find it. I will PM you with more info to see where I went wrong.

You are correct, it is far easier on a snowmobile. You can ride right to it (I have a few times now). It can be a popular spot at times in the winter and will get packed down enough that almost any rider could easily get there.

You are correct, it is far easier on a snowmobile. You can ride right to it (I have a few times now). It can be a popular spot at times in the winter and will get packed down enough that almost any rider could easily get there.
We had considered trying it in the winter, but then figured it would be a long walk in without a sled. :)