Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail Maintenance

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
I got out to do some work in the first mile of Ammonoosuc Ravine this past Saturday and Sunday. The Trailhead Stewards had the tent set up. The young man working the tent had quite a surprised look on his face when he saw my very small pack, odd clothing, and yard tools in hand ready to apparently tackle Washington. I thought of simply asking if this was "the trail to the mountain" as I went by but had a quick conversation instead. :) He was doing a fine job asking hikers about their plan in a non-invasive way. It was a good day to do it - I suspected high winds above treeline based on what I was feeling in the valley.

In short, the first 3/4 mile of the trail is in very good shape. Water bars are flowing, brush is clear, and I removed 8 blowdowns, 4 substantial, although only one causing an actual herd path. Most were step overs that were more inconvenient than problematic. I suppose it makes life easier for the LOTC Croo when carrying pack boards of 100 pounds though!

I'll be back shortly to finish the last part of mile one and then on to mile two.

The crossing of Franklin Brook is still not obvious to those without some prior knowledge of the trail or a map (the first crossing). The blaze is faded. I redirected numerous people who were following blazes but had no real knowledge of the trail itself.

I sometimes forget how gorgeous this trail is - the walk to Gem Pool itself is such a great destination hike.

LOTC croo usually pack down from the summit of Washington, although some years they have packed up from the Ammo.