White Pocket, Vermillion Cliffs National Monument, Arizona

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
This past May, I was able to finally able to pay an overnight visit to White Pocket in Arizona. I had been wanting to visit this place ever since I visited "The Wave" back in 2006.

You can't get here without a high-clearance and 4WD vehicle, so I rented an early 2000s Jeep Cherokee in the nearby town of Kanab. I then had to drive about 2 hours southeast, mostly on a series of confusing dirt roads within Vermillion Cliffs National Monument.

When I reached the trailhead, I realized that it only takes a few steps before you reach what I would consider the most incredible scenery in the American Southwest. There are no official hiking trails here - you just sort of wander around looking at all the unique rock formations. In total, you might walk 1-1.5 miles by the time you are done.

You can camp wherever you want here, so I just camped about 100 feet from the trailhead in a spot sheltered from the wind. Staying overnight allowed me to photograph both sunset and sunrise. Luckily for me, they were both incredible during my visit.

Here are some of my favorite pics from the trip:

whitepocket-pic1.jpg

whitepocket-pic2.jpg

whitepocket-pic3.jpg

whitepocket-pic4.jpg

whitepocket-pic5.jpg

whitepocket-pic6.jpg

whitepocket-pic7.jpg

whitepocket-pic8.jpg