Looking for easy backpacking suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flearoy

Reaction score
Hello all,

I had my hip replaced in January. Am now recovered and looking for very easy backpacking trips to try. Formerly an avid backpacker but have not done any in the last 5 years due to the deteriorated hip.

I've done several day hikes to ease back into it. What creeps me out the most is very rocky trails, especially going down. The hip is solid, but if I broke it the consequences would be pretty bad. My surgeon did clear me for backpacking.

Where: Within about 75 miles of central New Hampshire.
Easy = maximum rise about 1000'?
Length maybe 3 miles one way.
Good places to camp.

Not the Lincoln Woods trail. It's lovely but psychologically exhausting, just flat and straight ahead for miles.

Thanks!

Check out:
Flat Mountain Pond from Jose's Bridge
Ethan Pond from 302
Sawyer Pond Campsite from the Kanc
Unknown Pond from Berlin Fish Hatchery
Rogers Ledge Tentsite from Berlin Hatchery

I'd opt for bagging a pond for a shakedown cruise on that hip. If you're assured of an early arrival and scoring a leanto, that could save you some weight.

Sawyer Pond from the other side (302) may be easier if the road is open.
Three Ponds is fairly level but the last time I was there the leanto had some trash around it.
Mountain Pond has a leanto and much of the hike in is a gravel road walk.

Maine huts and trails is a hut to hut trail network that runs along valleys around the Bigelow range. Its farther than 75 miles from central NH. They supply meals so your pack light can be light.

It's short and easy, maybe 1.6 miles to the shelter, but the Rattle River Trail from US2 in Shelburne (also the AT in that section) is an easy, gently uphill walk. Three-sided lean to very close to the river. The only downside, and it may be true of anything along the AT: this is the AT thru-hiker season coming and this shelter is very close to the road at a major trail town - it could be busy at times. For difficulty, it's the first backpack I took my daughter on when she was 6.

There's a shelter near Bridal Veil Falls on the back side of Cannon. It's a lovely hike in, along the Coppermine Brook. Grade is easy and it's just shy of 2.5 mi one way.

Last edited:
Zealand Notch/Thoreau Falls. Mostly flat the whole way, no official campsites but there are spots to set up. Can also extend further into the Pemi if you wanted (Ethan Pond, Shoal Pond etc).

Thanks very much for the suggestions so far. I actually want to carry all my own gear. Not a fan of shelters. I've done some of the suggested trails before but wouldn't mind doing them again.

Anyone ever backpacked with an artificial hip?

Check out the Bolles trail (from the south) between Paugus and Chocorua. Lots of places to camp, pretty good walking, very few people.

Anyone ever backpacked with an artificial hip?

Yup. (Link posted for informational purposes only, with no comment intended or implied.)

I liked the backcountry campsites along the Dry River trail. Relatively gentle grade, you can go as far or as short as you want, you probably won't be fighting for a spot, there's amazing damage along the river from hurricane Irene to see, and the river is pretty close at all times.

The Eliza Brook Shelter (and tent sites) is about a 3.9 mile hike via the Reel Brook trail. A little longer than you're asking for, but from memory it was a pretty moderate hike and quite pretty as well.

I'm not sure if this fits your bill, but I love the Sabbaday Brook trail and the valley it sits in. I came down that trail early this summer after year's of not being in there and just loved it. Not only does it have a gentle grade for at least 3 miles, you have so many option to camp right on the water. If you do go in there, bring a small fishing pole, that brook is loaded with brookies. If you really felt good on day 2, you could make your way higher up towards the saddle between North and Middle Tripyramid. Although, disclaimer, the trail is very steep and slabby coming directly off the ridge, so that would be your call.

Not sure which Dan Doan 50-hikes book it's from, but, he mentions a nice backpack on the East Pond Trail from the Kanc - there is a beaver pond in there he suggests camping near - (west of the trail - you can see it on the topo) - might be a little bushwhack but it doesn't sound too bad - it's in the shadow of the Scar Ridge

Yup. (Link posted for informational purposes only, with no comment intended or implied.)

Yeah, that story is crazy. It raises some issues for thought, setting aside the guy's bad judgment (in my opinion). I think what he did was just unnecessary---there are better ways to enjoy the mountains if you know you're vulnerable. I think he should have been charged for the rescue.

The thing is though, a wrong movement could happen in fairly benign conditions and you could dislocate the joint. Say, getting on a bike. So caution is needed, but on the other hand you can't live the rest of your life in fear. You have to search for the rational midpoint. Not enough is known presently about the reasonable limits after anterior hip replacement, which is different from the old posterior approach, with fewer limitations. There is disagreement about skiing, for example. So I kind of have to plot my own course. I'll be happy if I can spend some quality time backpacking in easy conditions, knowing that each step has potential danger. This is an expensive joint and if you break it replacing it is very difficult. So I plan on being very careful.

Keep up that muscle strength and tone in your legs. My wife had a hip replacement 15 years ago and last year suffered 4 dislocations even though the joint was sound. Turned out that torn muscles cuased an instablility which had to be "revised" surgically.

Keep up that muscle strength and tone in your legs. My wife had a hip replacement 15 years ago and last year suffered 4 dislocations even though the joint was sound. Turned out that torn muscles cuased an instablility which had to be "revised" surgically.

Thanks for that helpful input, Stan. These joints don't last forever, though today's materials are better than 15 years ago. Your point about maintaining muscle strength is well taken. It's another case of needing balance---too little exercise and you lose muscle; too much or the wrong type and you wear out the joint faster. I think this is part of what doctors don't have clear data on yet for the newer anterior surgery.

My observations were that the doctors and nurses had a low, outdated estimation of the activity level of people in their 60s because (1) many of them are sedentary themselves; (2) they work with a lot of old, frail, sedentary people; and (3) they're not up to date on the differences between the old and new materials and procedures. I was told by many health practitioners that I wouldn't be able to bike, hike, or kayak for one year. It turned out to actually be three months with the surgeon's approval. Part of my rapid recovery was because I made an effort to be as fit as possible going into the surgery.

But yeah, backpacking is the thing that worries me the most, due to the added weight on the joint and uneven terrain. I just don't like the thought of never doing it again. I'm thinking that low, slow, and short should make it possible. Day hikes have gone well so far. Last hike was the Willard Trail---did not enjoy the rockiness of that very worn trail.

To be optimistic, a good friend of mine has a replacement hip and plays adult soccer in a pretty competitive league (most are ex-collegiate players). He was out a year with the replacement and rehab, but is in much better shape now than he was for the 3 years prior.

Good luck!!

Just reacting to what you have posted, I would consider day hiking for now. Not only would be traveling light, you would be strengthening your muscles as you hike. I've hiked through some pretty good injury's, sometimes compromise is what gets you through. Don't look at it as " I'm not backpacking" look at it like " I'm out hiking" Down the road when you confident your muscles are strong, backpacking will not only be safer, you'll have more confidence in your hip. I would also use poles at all times.

Just reacting to what you have posted, I would consider day hiking for now. Not only would be traveling light, you would be strengthening your muscles as you hike. I've hiked through some pretty good injury's, sometimes compromise is what gets you through. Don't look at it as " I'm not backpacking" look at it like " I'm out hiking" Down the road when you confident your muscles are strong, backpacking will not only be safer, you'll have more confidence in your hip. I would also use poles at all times.

I'm ready for easy backpacking now. I'm really not even aware that I have a new hip, except for the lack of pain. I've been back at the gym strengthening my legs since April, and they were strong to begin with. I always use two poles. I carry about 15 lbs on a day hike, so it's a question of adding about 20 more. I'm biking up to 20 miles have done a lot of walking. My surgeon and I agree on a precise recovery schedule and I was cleared for backpacking.

Thanks everyone. There are a lot of good suggestions here.

Update: I hiked the Coppermine Trail to Bridal Veil Falls today. Went pretty well. I noticed a good campsite about 30 minutes in---is it legal to camp there?