Best shoes/tread material for wet conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't doubt that it's bad foot placement. It tends to be in fairly flat areas when I do it, no doubt because I'm not 100% focused on the footing. Occasionally it is hitting a submerged object hidden under mud or a stone that comes loose but mostly it is lack of concentration.

Not paying attention and stepping on a loose stone or small root under the heel is how I most often turn ankles. I found low heel rise approach shoes reduces the risk of this happening. It's a more stable platform. Just wish I could get all-day comfort from the Scarpa's I love.

All this discussion about trail runners got me interested enough again to head to REI and try on some pairs. I'll provide more details below but for those of you that don't want to suffer through the specifics let me just say that trail runners are indeed awesome for hiking and I am 100% on board with them. If you're on the fence go get a pair and get out there. You won't be disappointed.

With all the threads and articles I had read I decided I was going to try on the La Sportiva Wildcats ($110) and the La Sportiva Ultra Raptors ($130). The Wildcats were very comfortable and the toe box is fairly wide as previously mentioned. The Ultra Raptors were similarly comfortable but I had to go up 1/2 a size to get the toe comfort. The Ultra Raptors had two features I felt were well worth the extra $20. First, the obviously had a much better cushioning sole than the Wildcats. It was very obvious just trying on the shoes. Also, they had a one inch or so wide rubber strip that went around the perimeter of the sole which seemed would be of great benefit preventing abrasion damage to the mesh uppers of the shoe (which also appeared beefier than the Wildcats, which went all the way to the sole). For the extra $20 it seemed well worth it. The Wildcats seemed like they might wear out and get damaged faster on the rugged trails in the Whites and elsewhere.

So I tried them out Sunday right out of the box with no break in using only a pair of Iniji Ultralight lightly cushioned liner socks and no gaiters. I did a 16 mile loop of the Ethan Pond Trail from Crawford Notch out past Zealand Hut, up the A-Z trail and back on the Willey Range Trail. I saw pretty much every trail condition there is : gravel, wet rock, dry rock, mud, standing water, bog bridges, talus, roots and logs, some scrambles, etc (as an aside what an awesome route to take in the Willey Range. Tremendous variety of terrain, forest growth, water and mountain views, etc. Highly recommend). The shoes did not disappoint at all. I'm probably in the best hiking shape of my life right now and with the trail runners my pace was 15-20% faster than what I've been doing this year. I presume the much lighter weight and increased agility account for that boost, particularly on ascents where it was most notable.

Traction was excellent on pretty much everything except wet bog bridges. They felt a little slippery on these. I assume this is a function of the tread pattern because the rubber was very tacky on regular logs, tree roots, etc. (most of my other boots don't exactly perform well on wet bog bridges either so I really wasn't deterred by this). I even intentionally took some poor foot placements with my trekking poles ready to save me just to see at what point the treads gave way. Even on side sloped, off camber positions they did pretty well. If you really got forward on the tips of the toes in a long stride they would slip (again so would probably most shoes) and on the few occasion where the slipped on wet side sloping rock they did so in a "stuttering" kind of way as opposed to a fast quick slip so you could catch your balance before you went over.

As for my concerns about water, mud and debris they proved to be no big deal. The trails were pretty wet and muddy today so I didn't baby the shoes. I walked where I normally would and let my feet get wet when it was time. They were just as comfortable wet and even with the thin liner sock no hot spots or blisters developed. To many prior poster's comments they do not dry out completely. They do dry to the point that they seem dry but if you take them off and feel your socks and the mesh uppers they are damp. I stopped at Thoreau Falls and took them off to inspect them and my socks and air out a bit. I took them off briefly one other time to remove some pine needles. With such a low cuff and no gaiters I was very surprised at how little debris I got in the shoes. There was probably less than I get in my regular hiking shoes when I'm not wearing gaiters. I did notice when the laces were loose the shoe would "pucker" more when it flexed making more debris in the shoes likely.

As far as ankle fatigue or other soreness that many have wondered about I can't say I really feel any different today than I normally would. During the hike there were a few short stretches where my hamstrings felt a little tight, which is unusual for me but has happened before. I also felt a little more aware of my knee ligaments in places and my knees are a little more sore than usual today. I think that was likely the steep rough decline off Willey after so many miles negotiating slick rocks, roots and bog bridges. I don't think I can attribute any of this soreness to the shoes in particular. My feet feel fine.

So if you've been reluctant like me to take the plunge and give up the security of your big, clunky hiking boots I'd say do it! I'm looking very forward to my next hike in the new lightweight footwear. I was thoroughly impressed.

So I'm definitely a convert and wish I hadn't waited so long to try.

Last edited:
All this discussion about trail runners got me interested enough again to head to REI and try on some pairs. I'll provide more details below but for those of you that don't want to suffer through the specifics let me just say that trail runners are indeed awesome for hiking and I am 100% on board with them. If you're on the fence go get a pair and get out there. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the excellent review. I went to EMS in Nashua this weekend to try on some La Sportiva's, but they didn't have the Raptors or the Bushidos that were also recommended. Definitely have to get down to REI in Reading now.

I did get out on NH granite with my Merrill Moab shoes after miserable experiences with them on Vermont schist. The granite in the Sandwich Wilderness is more of the rough, decomposed variety, so I suspect even Walmart sneakers would grip there. But anything smooth and wet, particularly the Drake's Brook crossings, were treacherous. I still had to be very careful at all times, as I could never predict when the grip would just give way. Good to know the Raptors don't wholesale slip. My Scarpa Crux's behave that way and I'm looking for similar behavior in a more comfortable shoe.

It looks like you made a good choice. The boots will still be available for those hikes where trail runners may not be appropriate (colder weather and snow).

Thanks for the excellent review. I went to EMS in Nashua this weekend to try on some La Sportiva's, but they didn't have the Raptors or the Bushidos that were also recommended. Definitely have to get down to REI in Reading now.

I did get out on NH granite with my Merrill Moab shoes after miserable experiences with them on Vermont schist. The granite in the Sandwich Wilderness is more of the rough, decomposed variety, so I suspect even Walmart sneakers would grip there. But anything smooth and wet, particularly the Drake's Brook crossings, were treacherous. I still had to be very careful at all times, as I could never predict when the grip would just give way. Good to know the Raptors don't wholesale slip. My Scarpa Crux's behave that way and I'm looking for similar behavior in a more comfortable shoe.

La Sportiva calls their rubber Flexion on their shoes now (or at least on these models). Possible you could look up the specs somewhere as a comparison to your Scarpa Crux's. I didn't take it that far. I was satisfied. Just have to see how fast they wear and lose their properties. For the cost relative to many good boots even if I went through one pair a season before transitioning in and out of boots it would be worth it.

My La Sportiva Ultra Raptors finally came in this past week. They were on back order from Mountain Gear. At least I got a good price... I ordered half size bigger than my size 42 Scarpa's after reading reports they run a tad small. The 42.5's fit perfectly. I took them over to Mt Cardigan in central NH for a 14 mile loop ridge hike with 4500ft of climbing. Lots of steep slab in this route, but conditions were pretty dry and not very technical otherwise. First thing I noticed was there is considerably more cushion under the heel than other recent shoes I've used. This is good and bad. It made the shoe much more comfortable, especially bounding downhill. But I found my foot a little more tippy in them. I have tendency to roll ankles, and during the hike I caught myself rolling an ankle four times. This typically won't happen more than once during a hike.

As for grip, I found they gripped extremely well on dry granite, even smooth, off-camber slab. Conditions were too dry to get sense of how well they work on wet granite. The Raptor's gripped better on loam and loose on hardpack than my Scarpa's too, and I think this has more to do with tread pattern than sole composition.

I liked the lightweight feel of the Raptor's. The mesh uppers breath well. I didn't develop any hot spots first hike in them, although the backs of my heels got a little tender by the end of the hike due to some movement there. That may have been alleviated if I had tightened laces mid-hike as they broke in.

Overall, I think the Raptor's are a good compromise shoe for me. Not quite the stability of my Scarpa Crux approach shoes, but far more comfortable for all-day hikes and much better grip than the Merrell Moab's I recently picked up.