Camping On The Ocean

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Does anyone know of campgrounds that are on the ocean in NH or ME? And I should qualify that I'm not looking for a field full of barren tent sites that are basically parking lots you can sleep in. I'm looking for a regular wooded tent campground, not RV's and stores and all kinds of infrastructure. Just nice secluded sites that are on or extremely close to the ocean. I saw an AMC post last year for an island in Maine that was pretty awesome but involved a ferry ride with limited hours and you had to reserve a site about a thousand years in advance to get one. I presume there have to be other places on the main land with similar campgrounds.

Did a few Google searches and couldn't really find what I was looking for. I figure there's someone here on VFTT who has tried just about every outdoor related activity there is so I would give it a shot and see if someone has any recommendations.

Maine Island Trail via kayak is the way to go. We have expedition kayaks and once you get to an island, you have it to yourself. 2-acre island, platform in place, some with picnic tables and possibly even firepits built. Fresh mussels right from the shore. Kayaks carry about 400 lbs, so that's like 200 lbs of pure gluttony to come along.

The only good car-camping beach campground I have found is Hermit Island in Maine. The sites can be sorta' remote, some of them anyway. Most beach campgrounds we've seen are as you described: parking lots. Not enough trees in many places near the beach to keep them private.

If you don't mind primitive camping, it would be hard to beat the Bold Coast public reserve lands way downeast. 4 miles of undeveloped rocky coast.

Sadly a commercial campground with dispersed waterfront campsites is far better cashing out so you only hope is government or non profit campsites. I have paddled from Winslow Park in Freeport and there are some incredible sites but as you noted I expect the demand is quite high as some are spectacular but not very private. http://freeportmaine.com/department.detail.php?page_id=98

Blackwoods campground in Acadia is not right on the ocean, but only a short walk away.

Blackwoods campground in Acadia is not right on the ocean, but only a short walk away.

I much preferred Seawall Campground's to Blackwoods' camping experience because of their 'walk-in' sites. Much more privacy, quiet, and cheaper. My 'walk' was only 20 yds , YMMV. At Blackwoods my fire ring was 5 yds from my neighbor's table. Folks of all ages and decibel levels running and bike riding by.

Only downside at Seawall I saw? It is further from the more popular hikes on the island. It sure was nice ending a long loop of Gorham, Champlain, Dorr, and Cadillac Mountains 50 yds from the tent in Blackwoods 'A Loop.' Cadillac's south ridge was as pretty of a decent I've ever had.

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas. I'll research some of these.

The best, and only, ocean campsites I've been in NH/ME is on the Maine Island Trail. As dug points out, paddle camping is a great experience with all the weight you can carry.

Not your question but certainly worth future consideration for salt water-front camping are the state parks of Florida.

Not your question but certainly worth future consideration for salt water-front camping are the state parks of Florida.

If you camp in Florida, ask whether you have a shaded site or not when making reservations. Some great spots in the Florida Keys if you don't fry under the sun.

I have read good things about the Bold Coast of Maine. It's sure to be less populated since it's so far away from anything.

Dug, what's the easiest island trip you know of, that involves the shortest open-water crossing?

Hmm...tough to remember them as I haven't been in a couple of years. Two that stand out were Jewell (big enough that it won't be all to yourself) and Little Snow. The put-in to get to Little Snow isn't very close by, but it's sheltered for most of it.

We only hit a long stretch of open water once, it was in Muscongus Bay (don't recall the island) that had me pretty tense. If looking into it, go to Maine Island Trail Association http://mita.org for all the necessary details.

Thief Island in Muscongus Bay is a pleasant one we enjoyed with the bonus of lots of seals coming out to great us as we paddled well off the rocks on which they were basking. By joining MITA http://www.mita.org/ you get details on all the island sites, many open to MITA members only as well as some land based campsites and facilities.