Safe day storage in North Conway?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flearoy

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a safe place where I could store a laptop while hiking in the North Conway area? I need to take my work with me on a three-day trip and don't want to leave my laptop in my car.

Is it encrypted? If so, it's pretty safe from the data perspective. Do you have a backup? Problems solved...

In any case, store in the trunk and enjoy the hike.

I think the main issue is the value of the laptop hardware - typically at least a thousand dollars, and easily fenced for a few hundred. Obtaining a replacement laptop on short notice in the north country would be difficult, never mind the hassle of installing and configuring all the needed software.

North Conway has at least five banks - call them and see which ones offer safe deposit boxes. A box big enough for a laptop might cost a hundred dollars or so for a month - not sure if they'll bargain for a shorter rental. If not, consider renting a hotel room and hiding the laptop there or leaving it with the front desk.

I think it's pretty safe in the trunk, especially if you are clever about hiding it, but I would rather encourage all hikers to take all valuables out of cars, lest thieves learn to look for them. I've had a car broken into for a roll of quarters at a WMNF trailhead.

Drop in to Staples in North Conway, leave the laptop with them for a keyboard cleaning. Pick it up on your way out of town.

Drop in to Staples in North Conway, leave the laptop with them for a keyboard cleaning. Pick it up on your way out of town.

This is a hilariously fantastic idea!!