Suggestions for high peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherry

Reaction score
I'll be heading up probably one last time this year on Aug 24th. I'll have 3 days open for hiking & not any real idea of what high peaks I'd like to do. I was thinking Isolation since I'll be alone some days.

I've done most of the pemi & saving the rest for next year with a friend. And I don't want to do any of the presi this visit. I also hiked Carrigan, Moosilauke, Canon, Kinsmans, Wiley, Field, Tom.

So any suggestions of nice high peak hikes within the 12mi or less range? Loops would be nice but not necessary. I don't mind if it's a busy trail since I might be on my own anyway; I get comfort in seeing others when hiking alone. Also if any slow hiker (1.5mph) is hiking that Thurs or Fri & wants a not so talkative tag-a-long let me know :)

I'll be heading up probably one last time this year on Aug 24th. I'll have 3 days open for hiking & not any real idea of what high peaks I'd like to do. I was thinking Isolation since I'll be alone some days.

I've done most of the pemi & saving the rest for next year with a friend. And I don't want to do any of the presi this visit. I also hiked Carrigan, Moosilauke, Canon, Kinsmans, Wiley, Field, Tom.

So any suggestions of nice high peak hikes within the 12mi or less range? Loops would be nice but not necessary. I don't mind if it's a busy trail since I might be on my own anyway; I get comfort in seeing others when hiking alone. Also if any slow hiker (1.5mph) is hiking that Thurs or Fri & wants a not so talkative tag-a-long let me know :)

North and Middle Tripyramid, ascend Pine Bend brook trail and descend Sabbaday Brook trail ( will leave a small road walk, but its not bad). Waumbek and Star King (only Waumbec counts on the list). Passaconaway and Whiteface, ascend Blueberry ledge trail and descend Dicey's Mill to same parking lot. Moriah would be nice as a single peak.

I'd consider Carter Dome -- with a stop on Mt. Hight, which in itself is worth a hike. Many folks bypass Mt. Hight completely when the do Carter Dome, but the views (and often, solitude) from there are among the best in the area.
Last time I was there, we skipped Carter Dome and hung around on Mt Hight for an hour or so...

Doug

If you want a unique loop, check out Carter Dome via Wildcat River trail/Rainbow trail. It is beautiful, and aside from the climb from the hut to the summit, you'll be alone. You can add on Hight easily too. You can also take a Forest Road to skip the crossings on the way in to hike with dry feet. I think this is about 15-16 miles, but several are flat and very easy/pleasant.

This is an excellent hike, and I'm a big fan of it -- it's my preferred route for doing just Carter Dome. But, this option eliminates Mt. Hight.

You could always do an out-and-back from Carter Dome, it's a pretty mellow ridge walk over to Hight without any substantial elevation gain/loss.

I'll throw in a vote for Whiteface/Passaconnaway, the Blueberry Ledge trail is really fun and there's some great camping either right at the top of the ledges or a little further down the Kate Sleeper trail.

Additionally, you may want to save doing the Tripyramids for a time when you can use the slide trails as opposed to the loop from the Kanc but that's just imo :) they're the most famous feature of those mountains and the views going up and down are excellent, the summits are lackluster in comparison. I would feel uncomfortable doing the slides solo but ymmv.

The views from the ridge along Middle and South Carter over to the northern Presis and out over the wilderness to Maine are nice, that's also a loop hike, but if my window was limited I'd opt for Hight/Carter Dome instead. Osceola has a real nice summit ledge but it's out-and-back as well as easy and touristy.

What about the Hancock's? Curious what the thought is on those. I haven't done them yet but plan to in a couple of weeks.

What about the Hancock's? Curious what the thought is on those. I haven't done them yet but plan to in a couple of weeks.

Hancocks are a very nice hike and loop. Mostly easier grades with the brief steep climb to the ridge and the return down the same steep grade on the other side.

If by the Pemi you mean the mountains ringing it then this suggestion won't help but you can make a loop out of any part of the Franconia Ridge; some might include walking back to your car along a bike trail.

Chocorua and Sandwich Dome are worthy dayhikes. If the weather is unsettled and you want to avoid long stretches above treeline consider a Hale Zealand trek with a timely bailout at the Hut possible.

If you are peakbagging look at the list and the possibilities are endless. Once you select a basecamp then youse make your choices ... or vice versa. Have fun ... the planning and anticipation is fun, too.

So many choices. But at least a place to start now. My base camp will be Dolly Cop but I'm willing to drive further for the hikes.

I was looking at The Carter Dome area & I think I might try to save it when I can do it with some else with a car spot so we can make a nice little traverse of the Wildcats & Carters.

Moriah is a nice one. Middle/North/South Carter in a loop involving the Imp Trial & Carter Dome trail if the weather is iffy. Why don't you want to do any Presidentials ? I do not recommend saving those (maybe save one of them). You hike them over & over and never do the same hike twice, huge variety of trail permutations for each peak. Example the Madison Gulf trail is right there if you at Dolly Copp. You can hike it with friends later from the north later. Totally different hikes IMHO.