Hiking the Old Paths

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey J

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Some of the best known and most traveled trails of the White Mountains are known as Paths not Trails. Research shows these are also some of the oldest trails in the Whites. Does anyone have any knowledge or stories about when the nomenclature changed? Crawford Path appears to be the oldest dating to 1819. I am looking forward to hiking a section of the Davis Path (1845) next month since I've only done small pieces of it in the past. Other famous Paths include Lowes Path (1875), Israel Ridge Path (1892), and Randolph Path (1893), all on the northern slopes. Edmands Path (1909) came a little later. I've done all or large sections of most of these and they are some of my favorite trails in the Whites. Am I missing any other big ones?

Late August I'll be climbing the Davis Path from 302, ascending to Mt Crawford and continuing on to Stairs Mountain with its distinctive profile. I hope to hit Mt Resolution on the way back. I know its about a half mile down the Mt Parker Trail and then a scramble across open ledge to the summit of Resolution. Any visual cues that might make it obvious when to start whacking to the left? No GPS coordinates please, I'm just navigating by dead reckoning. Also, will the views from Crawford Dome be about the same as Crawford? Or is it worth scrambling up to that secondary peak?

Some of the best known and most traveled trails of the White Mountains are known as Paths not Trails. Research shows these are also some of the oldest trails in the Whites. Does anyone have any knowledge or stories about when the nomenclature changed? Crawford Path appears to be the oldest dating to 1819. I am looking forward to hiking a section of the Davis Path (1845) next month since I've only done small pieces of it in the past. Other famous Paths include Lowes Path (1875), Israel Ridge Path (1892), and Randolph Path (1893), all on the northern slopes. Edmands Path (1909) came a little later. I've done all or large sections of most of these and they are some of my favorite trails in the Whites. Am I missing any other big ones?

I don't have dates for nomenclature changes, but for researching terminology, Randolph has a history of naming its trails "paths." You may want to (and may already have) check out Randolph Paths, the guide to the northern slopes by the Randolph Mountain Club. A new edition is being released this summer I believe.

Here's a list of the trails; there are probably 15 "paths."

http://randolphmountainclub.org/trailsinfo/rmctrailsystem.html

"This is Randolph, and here anything smaller than a logging road is a path." - Hazel De Berard. This quote has its own page to start the guide.

Late August I'll be climbing the Davis Path from 302, ascending to Mt Crawford and continuing on to Stairs Mountain with its distinctive profile. I hope to hit Mt Resolution on the way back. I know its about a half mile down the Mt Parker Trail and then a scramble across open ledge to the summit of Resolution. Any visual cues that might make it obvious when to start whacking to the left? No GPS coordinates please, I'm just navigating by dead reckoning. Also, will the views from Crawford Dome be about the same as Crawford? Or is it worth scrambling up to that secondary peak?

There's no obvious place to head in to hit the high point of Reso. Just follow as much ledge as you can and head NE. Only a couple tenths of a mile but pretty thick. As far as Crawford Dome. http://1happyhiker.blogspot.com/2012/04/all-in-family-mt-crawford-and-crawford.html

Not just old trails; the new trail in WV is known as "Irene's Path."

I don't have dates for nomenclature changes, but for researching terminology, Randolph has a history of naming its trails "paths." You may want to (and may already have) check out Randolph Paths, the guide to the northern slopes by the Randolph Mountain Club. A new edition is being released this summer I believe.

Here's a list of the trails; there are probably 15 "paths."

http://randolphmountainclub.org/trailsinfo/rmctrailsystem.html

"This is Randolph, and here anything smaller than a logging road is a path." - Hazel De Berard. This quote has its own page to start the guide.

That's true, almost all of them are located on that side. Edmands Path might be the exception. Most of the ones I missed are short ones but how could I forget Watson Path? Elementary.

Last edited:
There's no obvious place to head in to hit the high point of Reso. Just follow as much ledge as you can and head NE. Only a couple tenths of a mile but pretty thick. As far as Crawford Dome. http://1happyhiker.blogspot.com/2012/04/all-in-family-mt-crawford-and-crawford.html

Good link, I have saved some of his other reports. If we have time, maybe we'll detour up to Crawford Dome on the descent. Not sure if we'll go as far as the cliff he describes but it looks like an interesting destination. Thanks Joe. As for Resolution, others have found their way to it so I'm sure we will get there.

"check out Randolph Paths, the guide to the northern slopes by the Randolph Mountain Club" Raven

I found a 1977 version of Randolph Paths hidden in my bookcase. Its a pocket size booklet and I forgot I had it. The text actually self labels it as a "pamphlet." The original price was $1.50. That quote must be from later versions as I don't see it here. It is interesting to note that hikers are referred to as "trampers."

RMC publications always did have a different approach which sadly has been lost little by little in later editions. . It made sense as the RMC's origins were heavily oriented to the Ravine and Mt Crescent houses (both gone) and the adjacent summer camps on the north side of valley. Therefore from their viewpoint the rest of the world was wrong ;). When they revised the map and made it modern to confirm with common map standards it lost some of its charm but probably cleared up a bit of confusion.

The clubs goal for years was to keep the cost of the map as low as possible so no one would have an excuse not to buy one. They used to have fundraiser for a limited run of numbered unfolded maps but they didn't seem to do this for the latest version. Speaking of the latest version there is new guide and map http://www.berlindailysun.com/index...nd-rmc-map-now-available&catid=103&Itemid=442

I have heard at one point that the club was considering handing over maintenance to the forest service but they elected not to when they were informed that the FS would close two thirds of them. The club ended up hiring a pro trail crew and kept the network intact and even added a few to Pond of Safety. On the north side of RT 2 between Durand Road and Randolph Hill road is a quite a dense network of local trails, they mostly run along property boundaries and were originally used for summer residents to get around town for social gatherings. They still get used but the typical age of the summer residents is quite high these days so they get less use.

Last edited:
My 1985 map is oriented with North at the top so the upside down version you (peakbagger) mention must have pre-dated that. I probably bought that booklet in 85 or 86 prior to hiking Jefferson, Adams, and Madison between 86-89. I still use the map.

RMC.jpgRandolph Paths.jpgRMC Map 1985.jpg

My 1985 map is oriented with North at the top so the upside down version you (peakbagger) mention must have pre-dated that. I probably bought that booklet in 85 or 86 prior to hiking Jefferson, Adams, and Madison between 86-89. I still use the map.

View attachment 5574View attachment 5575View attachment 5576

I have the same copy, bought at about the same time. There used to be a camp called " Bowman's Base camp" right off Route 2. It was run by an older guy, kind of eccentric, I believe he was a retired rocket scientist. Anywho, the place was rundown, but we had the place mostly to ourselves for a summer and hiked the Northern peaks a lot. It was a great time.

Bowman base Camp is still there rotting away in the woods. The trees are grown up and the road into the place is pretty well grown in. Its been quite awhile since there has been any activity there. RMC looked at it for a potential trailcrew base but reportedly decided that it required more work than building new.

Bowman base Camp is still there rotting away in the woods. The trees are grown up and the road into the place is pretty well grown in. Its been quite awhile since there has been any activity there. RMC looked at it for a potential trailcrew base but reportedly decided that it required more work than building new.

I'm not surprised, it was not well kept even back then. I inquired at Lowes Store last year and they said it was just sitting there. Kind of a shame, one heck of a location.

Does RMC own that Bowman Base Camp? Last thing I knew RMC does not own Bowman Base Camp. When RMC was looking at it for a possible crew facility there was discussion that RMC would buy the land and then sell a portion of it to the WMNF to protect the Lowes path trail corridor. Reportedly the family of the original owner wanted significant dollars for the property. It is inside the WMNF declaration boundary an a convenient location but its unfortunately on the north facing slope of Mt Adams with the Lowes complex located across the street. This means not a lot of sun in the winter and not much potential for a view unless the lot if clearcut.

Someone associated with the RMC survey of the building had commented that the structure met no known building code. I have never been there but 20 plus years of total neglect has probably not helped it.

Does RMC own that Bowman Base Camp? Last thing I knew RMC does not own Bowman Base Camp. When RMC was looking at it for a possible crew facility there was discussion that RMC would buy the land and then sell a portion of it to the WMNF to protect the Lowes path trail corridor. Reportedly the family of the original owner wanted significant dollars for the property. It is inside the WMNF declaration boundary an a convenient location but its unfortunately on the north facing slope of Mt Adams with the Lowes complex located across the street. This means not a lot of sun in the winter and not much potential for a view unless the lot if clearcut.

Someone associated with the RMC survey of the building had commented that the structure met no known building code. I have never been there but 20 plus years of total neglect has probably not helped it.

One fond memory I have was catching mice. We would set up traps using pots and pans to see how may we could catch, it was a lot. At night, they would run over you at will while in your bunk. I never once saw any maintenance done while there, it was rough at best. The owner liked to drink. I would show up and hand him a bottle and he would say have fun and disappear.