Moosilauke question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerryd

Reaction score
Hello,

I am 4 months past total knee replacement and am steadily increasing knee flexibility and quad strength between gym, exercises learned in PT and hiking locally in Western MA. I am hoping to be able to successfully hike in the Whites in August or September. I have been thinking of Moosilauke, up n down Gorge Brook from Ravine Lodge. Its been 20+ years since I have been up Moosilauke and cannot recall, nor would the memory be relevant now, but can anyone advise me if the road in to ravine Lodge is open?

The additional distance walking the road in might, at my current slow pace, lead me to plan a different return to the Whites hike.

thanx

Ravine Lodge road is open but parking for day hikers is quite a bit down the road past the lower maintenance road. Lot to be said for getting there early in the AM so save a 1/4 to 1/2 mile walk.

Also be aware that the old lodge is being demolished and replaced with a shiny new one, or is scheduled to be soon. I haven't been there recently so I am not sure if this affects hiker access / parking or not.

Also, depending on when you hike in September the Ravine Lodge is scheduled to be torn down in mid-Sept and building starting on the new Lodge ASAP. There may be issues with parking and direct access, although the trail from the turnaround to Gorge Brook should be accessible.