Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Things are heating up over ATV trails in Nash Stream

Almost always bud lights, so they are fairly recent. It maybe time to do a sweep of Androscoggin Riverlands state park and see how much money I can collect cashing in the returnables.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Almost always bud lights, so they are fairly recent. It maybe time to do a sweep of Androscoggin Riverlands state park and see how much money I can collect cashing in the returnables.
    Yes, theory first developed when I was surveying 25-30 years ago. Bud Light also has it's own subset today.

As Skiguy suggests facts should be sought. A good way to do this would be to read the management plan- http://nhdfl.org/new-hampshire-state...ashStream.aspx
    Things changed from the original management plan with the 2002 revision- based on a law passed by the state managers bosses- the politicians.
    The original intent of the acquisition was to protect the integrity of an almost entire watershed for ecological purposes.

This is not the first time where the state acting as manager over properties with legally mandated restrictions has selectively ignored restrictions. The controversy in the Ossipee Mtn area several years ago came down to the state acting as manager allowing a land owner to ignore agreed upon restrictions that came along with a big federal check and punishing the individual who pointed out the mismanagement. The states response was to close the area to legally allowed hiker access until the snowmobile lobby complained.

Similar issues have occurred at other properties originally purchased by conservation groups and transferred to state ownership. Ski areas get leased and expanded onto protected lands and cell towers get built on wild summits despite formal agreements to the contrary with the original purchasers.
    I don't have much sympathy for this issue any longer (it's ok if you are disappointed in me for saying that). The fact is that today there is very little respect for agreed-upon bargains in government, and selective enforcement of laws on the books and of other agreements is a hallmark of the current state and federal administrations, both republican and democrat. It is only getting worse. Legislatures and executives either don't act or when they do it is in a partisan manner and often unconstitutional, forcing private and public monies to be spent in the courts seeking redress to legislative or executive overreach. I can cite numerous examples but this is not the forum for such detail. It's only going to get worse unfortunately.

The North Country benefits so much from ATV's. And not really from hikers. Especially the ones who come up on a tank of cheap gas and go back on the same tank from Ma then camp for free and bring there own food.
    I am a hiker, snowmachiner, camper,etc. and believe in sharing the resources... that's were I come from...
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by NHClimber View Post
    The fact is that today there is very little respect for agreed-upon bargains in government...
    +1 Buyer beware. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, folks. Promises of the future are easy to make and easy to change later on. I have seen lovely pictures of the beautiful park/pond area that was supposed to be built after the gravel was removed from the pit across the street from my home. It was planned out beautifully and looked so legitimate and all people had to do was let them take all the gravel and then they would follow through on their end. Whatever. Instead of looking at a park, I found myself instead battling a concrete batch plant they were trying to squeeze into a nonconforming use. We won, but not because of the old promises. Apparently those old promises don't mean much now. Next time, I'm suggesting that the company puts the park in now and in 30 years we will give it back for industrial use. I promise. And I've got a bridge for sale as well.

Since the discussions have been referenced numerous times, but I have not yet seen them linked, here is some background reading on the Ossippee Mountain Range Controversy from a few years ago. Many people have joined the forum since this fiasco.

WODC Outlook Thread (2009):

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthrea...tlook-May-2009

Original VFTT Thread on Ossippee Mountain Area Controversy (2009):

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthrea...light=ossippee

Links to further information as well as numerous media sources on the subject:

http://www.franklinsites.com/hikephotos/Ossipee/

I'm not giving an opinion, just linking it for the ease of reading of those who are curious since it has come up in the thread.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

Quote Originally Posted by Barkingcat View Post
    While you're at it, do you have any background information on what prompted the closure of the western end of the McCrillis Path years ago
    The section of McCrillis Path that crosses private land was closed by the landowner. For complete details please see the November 2012 issue of the WODC Newsletter at http://www.wodc.org/newsletter/2012-11.pdf starting on page 3.

Nice read.

Thanks!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Barkingcat View Post
    what precipitated the landowner to want to close this route -- to the point of actually hiding the old McCrillis Path? And is the land in question still owned by this landowner?
    Yes, he still owns the land. His reasons for closing the trail have never been clear, but he basically doesn't want other people crossing his land.

Mods: Perhaps it's time to move this to a new thread?

The trail to South Percy was signed, and showed no signs of closure today.
    NH 4k's 48/48, NHW 48/48, NE67 67/67, NEHH 100/100, 52WAV, NHHH, Belknap Range Redliner, NH Fire Towers

The State is seeking public input (until March 3rd) on the draft of a new management plan for the Nash Stream State Forest: http://www.nhdfl.org/new-hampshire-s...ashStream.aspx

SPNHF has their suggestions on the outcome

https://forestsociety.org/blog-post/...forests-future

https://forestsociety.org/sites/defa...tter%20(2).pdf

IMO It sure looks like the state is trying to modify the original intent of the Nash Stream purchase by making an end run around the parties that were supposed to ensure that the intent of the purchase was maintained. Inevitably the ATV advocates are quite well organized and tend to show up in large groups, I expect that they will be well represented at the hearings.

By the way am I not anti ATV as much as pro living up to long term commitments. If Nash Stream was managed like the nearby national forest of nearby national wildlife refuges this wouldn't be an issue.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 02-14-2017 at 07:36 AM.