Baxter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rup

Reaction score
Considering Baxter for a day hike or 2 1-2 weeks from now. What are the odds I can get in w/o a resiv? Should I try to get resivs for 1-2 days ahead of time?

Lot of nice day hikes in Baxter, no lines no problem. Of course if you want to climb to Baxter Peak on Katahdin, that's another story. Best way is get a Day use parking reservation, then see if you can get one of the last minute reservations that are held until two weeks prior to the date for mainers. They are opened up to out of staters somehow at some point but I don't know the details. Alternatively there are some commercial campgrounds outside the park which are somewhat convenient to the gate. If you feel lucky you can line up at the gate and hope for an open DUPR. It means a late start.

The Park is worth more than a day hike, especially if you're from so far "away". I'd take some extra time to familiarize yourself with the place if you haven't been there before and for best reservations results, utilize the rolling system ... or better yet ... go to "opening day" in Jan., a biannual tradition for me despite the convenience of the on-line system.

This year we made a late decision to go and a couple weeks ago I booked a cabin ... the only one available for 3 days in August. South Branch Pond bunkhouse had availability and is the best base camp for the Traveler Loop, but do that on a bluebird day (there's lots of exposure and no bailouts so it can be a matter of safety as well as views). Lots of good hikes throughout the Park, whether peakbagging or not.

Camp OJI at Kidney Pond is likely available but it is either a paddle across the pond or nearly a mile hike in. Great spot but it has grown up in recent years and idyllic views of the pond and Mt OJI are obscured. Good base camp for an easy hike to Sentinel Mountain.

Probably some choices if you want a tentsite or even a remote leanto.

Have fun!

You may remember that last year at about this time, I stumbled out of the 100 mile wilderness at Baxter, but decided against a summit of the K due to really sore hips. Turned out I needed a hip replace, which I did in Nov. I'm looking for advice on how to manage a day hike attempt at the summit of my last NE4K, so good info PLEASE.

I started with Mt Wash in 1971, and completed NH4K ~1981 in a mild snowstorm on S Kinsman. Distracted by ADKs and other issues, I hit VT and then ME 4Ks after my CABG bi-pass operation. Now, after the hip replace, only 1 hill, to borrow from the Mt Wash hill climb.

Last edited:
Considering Baxter for a day hike or 2 1-2 weeks from now. What are the odds I can get in w/o a resiv? Should I try to get resivs for 1-2 days ahead of time?

You may remember that last year at about this time, I stumbled out of the 100 mile wilderness at Baxter, but decided against a summit of the K due to really sore hips. Turned out I needed a hip replace, which I did in Nov. I'm looking for advice on how to manage a day hike attempt at the summit of my last NE4K, so good info PLEASE.

Am I missing something from the answers already given? At this late date, and its a very popular place with limited, by design, reservations, the best thing to do is call the park or do the online reservation system. Driving from NY for a dayhike of Baxter seems like an extreme waste of time if you aren't able to get a DUPR or at least a tent site, or shelter site. I wouldn't risk it, but its your time to waste.

Okay now you are being specific. Call up the AT Lodge in Millinocket. Book a night at the lodge, they will drive you into the park in the AM. Then hike up the mountain. They run free shuttles out of the park in the afternoon. No DUPRs needed. Give the call and see if their services match your needs.

I am curious what your expectations were for answers to your original post.

Try the BSP link Tim posted. We just got very, very lucky and scored 3 nights at a Daicey Pond cabin for next month! Shooting for my husband's 67 finish. :) Excited to return to the park--last visit was in 2004.

Because of the long drive, it's a good idea to give yourself a couple days' cushion in case of bad weather.

If your not looking to stay in the park and are just looking for parking at 1 of the 3 reservable lots, make a reservation if you know the date/dates. Should you not be able to do the hike for weather or other issues, you're only out $5 per reservation. Easily worth it to be guaranteed a spot. Provided you make it to the check-in by 7:05 AM. ;)

Thanks. BSP rules and pop advice have been somewhat confusing. Have decided on dayhike access - which seems less complex - so as not to waste time on non-starter decisions. Reservation? / arrive at 4am to wait in line? / etc with other anecdotes found here and there have added to the mystery of a proper successful protocol.

Will dedicate a window of 3 days. Hope the hip is ready for 12 miles with 4100 vertical. Will call the park for specific advice. cha-cha-cha.

Ktaadn seems more of a political / logistical battle.

Its not usually something that is done without some planning since access is limited. I'm usually planning a Baxter trip a year in advance.

We just spent two weeks in the park volunteering out of Kidney Pond. There were open cabins there on many nights.

According to the Rangers, the new computer-based reservation system enables folks to move among sites much more easily: A night at Kidney, a night at Daicey, then over to Abol, etc, It's a problem for the rangers because they must clean and prep cabins much more frequently, sometimes each day. Lots more work than when folks came for a week and stayed put.

Baxter Park Trivia: Every outhouse in the Park is cleaned and serviced every day (except maybe the Throne of the Thunder God at Davis Pond:)

We lived in Moosewood Cabin for our stay and worked all over the park. Primitive but cool!!

cb

Last edited:
Here is some advice from a recent first time (last tuesday): If you do get a DUPR, make sure to be at the Togue Pond Gate before it opens @ 6am. A long line was well established when we arrived @ 6:15am and it took until 7:00am before we passed the gatehouse and headed to Roaring Brook. I would aim for 5:30am (or earlier) next time; just to get a spot further up in the line. The park roads are intentionally rough and driving takes much longer than you might think. We didn't get started til almost 8am, which was a lot later than I would have liked. In the end it all worked out fine.

Good luck and Happy Trails.

-Craig

I have always done dayhikes in Baxter State Park and have never made a day use parking reservation for any hike. Still got in every time, though! Arriving at the south gate at 4:30 AM always helps ;)

I have always done dayhikes in Baxter State Park and have never made a day use parking reservation for any hike. Still got in every time, though! Arriving at the south gate at 4:30 AM always helps ;)
Staying in the Park and getting past the south gate before 7 AM guarantees you a spot.