"Bouldering" Glove

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I generally wear a pair of gloves on steeper trails where I'll be grabbing tree roots and trunks, doing many ledge scrambles, etc. I've always just bought the cheapo gloves at Home Depot that have the mesh back and some sort of rubberized texture in the palm for grip. They don't last long though. Generally the fingers I use most often wear out after just a few hikes and the fingers poke through. Shortly there after the seam between the palm and the mesh bursts and they don't fit properly. I figured it might be time to look into a "real" pair of gloves.

But of course, like most other seemingly simple gear it appears there are all kinds of gloves: crag gloves, belay gloves, transition gloves, approach gloves, etc., etc. Would there be any sort of climbing glove that has well reinforced finger tips and palms? It seems most climbing gloves are fingerless, which I do not like, but I'm not hanging from 1/2 inch cracks 500' off the ground. The main reason I wear the gloves is to avoid getting tree sap all over my hands and to prevent abrasions on my fingers and hands because my skin is fairly dry and scratches easily so I tend to have a tentative grip when I'm not wearing gloves. Any thoughts on the type of glove I should be looking at or a recommendation from someone who wears a similar glove?

Appreciate any thoughts on the topic. Thanks.

I wear deerskin gloves when working around the yard, clearing brush and stuff like that.

I always throw in a pair of Home Depot like gloves with non-slippery leather palms. I use them in the garden at home on spruce trees and rose bushes. Last me a couple years. Deerskin is a little pricey so I use a step down from those.

I always throw in a pair of Home Depot like gloves with non-slippery leather palms. I use them in the garden at home on spruce trees and rose bushes. Last me a couple years. Deerskin is a little pricey so I use a step down from those.

I've always avoided leather for the breathability issue. Guess I'll have to give it a try.

BD's "Crag" glove sounds like what you're looking for: light and breathable on the back, tough leathery grip on the front, not too expensive. I read some reviews complaining that they arent' as durable as other climbers' gloves, but they should still be a big step up from those gardener's gloves with the rubberized dots.

BD's "Crag" glove sounds like what you're looking for: light and breathable on the back, tough leathery grip on the front, not too expensive. I read some reviews complaining that they arent' as durable as other climbers' gloves, but they should still be a big step up from those gardener's gloves with the rubberized dots.

I was actually looking at these last night. I think I am going to give them a try. Not much more expensive than what I'm using from Depot. Thanks.

If you don't mind synthetic materials, I'm a huge fan of mechanics style work gloves for outdoor pursuits. If you want to spend a little more, consider looking into mountain bike gloves which would have a nice form fit, a leather (or synthetic) palm, and a nice breathable back. From what I've seen the mechanics gloves and the mountain bike gloves are largely interchangeable. If you want to save some dough, check out harbor freight's work glove selection.

I generally wear a pair of gloves on steeper trails where I'll be grabbing tree roots and trunks, doing many ledge scrambles, etc. I've always just bought the cheapo gloves at Home Depot that have the mesh back and some sort of rubberized texture in the palm for grip. They don't last long though. Generally the fingers I use most often wear out after just a few hikes and the fingers poke through. Shortly there after the seam between the palm and the mesh bursts and they don't fit properly. I figured it might be time to look into a "real" pair of gloves.

But of course, like most other seemingly simple gear it appears there are all kinds of gloves: crag gloves, belay gloves, transition gloves, approach gloves, etc., etc. Would there be any sort of climbing glove that has well reinforced finger tips and palms? It seems most climbing gloves are fingerless, which I do not like, but I'm not hanging from 1/2 inch cracks 500' off the ground. The main reason I wear the gloves is to avoid getting tree sap all over my hands and to prevent abrasions on my fingers and hands because my skin is fairly dry and scratches easily so I tend to have a tentative grip when I'm not wearing gloves. Any thoughts on the type of glove I should be looking at or a recommendation from someone who wears a similar glove?

Appreciate any thoughts on the topic. Thanks.

If the cheapo gloves you described are $4.99 Gorilla Gloves, you've tried what I swear by on hikes when temps are cool enough or the hand hold requirements rough enough to require light gloves. I like the ventilation from the mesh, and the grip of the rubberized fronts. Also, on cool days one thing I hate is putting my hand on cold, wet rocks or clumps of wet moss. These gloves pretty much eliminate that wet for me - and if they do get wet, they dry quickly. Generally, the gloves last me longer than just a couple of hikes, though obviously this depends on the nature of the hikes. For me, they've been more cost effective than name brand 'light' outdoor gloves - a sixth the cost, while lasting substantially more than a sixth as long.

Of course, I'm also a fan of inexpensive Costco leather gardening gloves when on a trail work mission.

Alex

Last edited:
If the cheapo gloves you described are $4.99 Gorilla Gloves, you've tried what I swear by on hikes when temps are cool enough or the hand hold requirements rough enough to require light gloves. I like the ventilation from the mesh, and the grip of the rubberized fronts. Also, on cool days one thing I hate is putting my hand on cold, wet rocks or clumps of wet moss. These gloves pretty much eliminate that wet for me - and if they do get wet, they dry quickly. Generally, the gloves last me longer than just a couple of hikes, though obviously this depends on the nature of the hikes. For me, they've been more cost effective than name brand 'light' outdoor gloves - a sixth the cost, while lasting substantially more than a sixth as long.

Of course, I'm also a fan of inexpensive Costco leather gardening gloves when on a trail work mission.

Alex

I haven't tried that particular glove but I have seen them at Depot. They seemed like they would wear easily. I ordered a pair of the Black Diamond Crag gloves to try out. They were on sale for $16. Twice what I usually pay but if they are more suited to the task and hold up it may be worth it in the long run.

I can vouch for these as well. They recently served me well on a climb of the Upper Exum Ridge on the Grand Teton.

I can vouch for these as well. They recently served me well on a climb of the Upper Exum Ridge on the Grand Teton.

Just got via UPS today. Seems like a great glove. I'll be trying out this weekend. Thanks.