Fundy Footpath 8/1-8/5 New Brunswick Canada Part 2

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
8/3/16 Day 3
Telegraph Brook to Little Salmon River. Side trip to the Eye of the Needle
9:30-2:00 Map = 6.5km Guide book = 5.7km/3.6 miles

Started out another day on the beach looking out from my tent at a beautiful daybreak. Rolled over and went back to sleep. Finally got out of the tent around 7 and had a nice stretch and breakfast. Hit the trail and today's 'gradual ascent to a plateau' was straight up right from the beginning. We did have several more pleasant plateau walks today where the footing was great and had some nice long breaks from climbing or decent. The descents on this trail so far are nearly as hard as the ascents. Steep and loose gravel and loads of switchbacks. I believe we had 3 steep climbs and descents today. On the last one we had views to the river gorge. It was wayyyyyyy down below us. As soon as we hit the bottom poof! Privy. Right on the trail. Facing the trail. Perhaps I should mention the privys here are 3 sided with low walls and no roof. I can really enjoy a privy with a view. Not so sure about a trail with such a good privy view!
Little Salmon River is a really large area with many places to camp on both sides of the river as well as upstream along the Dobson River.
We set up our tents and had a quick lunch before packing a few things for a short side walk. As we were having lunch a few people came into camp after having hiked to the Eye of the Needle-our next destination. They kindly gave us great information and advice.
We wore our crocs for this walk and followed the Little Salmon River upstream to Walton Glen on the left. A very short walk up this side stream leads you to the Eye of the Needle. Wow. So worth it! Beautiful river flowing through a very narrow gorge with steep sides nearly touching at top and large boulders and beautiful rocks. After a quick dip and swimming through the eye we were good and cooled of and clean and rinsed again!
Back in camp it was quick chores of getting water and firewood and then a relaxing dinner. More 'storytelling' from the guidebook to hear what the writer’s version of the trail will be for the next day. At this point I'm pretty convinced whomever wrote the book has never been here. Nor has the person who drew the map. ;)
I believe good advice for someone trying to plan this trip would be to get a Canadian version of a USGS topo map. A map of the areas atv trails may be helpful too.
All in all today was another really great day on the trail. Beautiful woods, views and River walks. Good campsite and amazing side hike to a swimming hole. Everyday life should be so grand!

8/5/16 Day 4
Little Salmon River to Seely Beach Brook
9:30-3:00 Map = 8km Guide Book = 9.6km /6miles

We started out the hike in our crocs because there were a couple of river crossings and some pretty slimy marshy areas to walk through before heading up the cable stairs on the other side of the Little Salmon River. I found out firsthand how muddy it was when trying to get up onto the side of the river bank and slipping and falling into it. About 800’ into the day… covered in slimy mud. Good thing the one luxury item I allowed myself on this trip was lots of baby wipes. I cleaned myself up as best I could and we all got our hiking shoes on and started up the cable stairs.
12:00 Break at Cradle Brook for snacks and to filter more water. So far the ascents and descents seem less steep than the first few days. Wouldn't say gradual. But certainly easier on the body so far!
More cable stairs in this section, maybe 5-6 sets, kind of a cross between stairs and a ladder really. Must really help with erosion and actually kind of makes the climbing fun! This section had some steep spots but nothing compared to the first few days still. Although in this section I was thinking on some of the steeper spots that televators on my trail runners would be kind of nice.
There were supposed to be several look outs and views as well according to the guide book- but either my idea of a view is different than the author of the guide book or trees have grown much taller since the book was written. Regardless - the walk was great and the forest was beautiful and the weather was nice. A cool breeze and not as humid. The last set of stairs down pops you out onto Seeley beach. A short walk on the beach brings you to the first campsite. We debated between this site and the one around the corner and decided the first one was out of the wind and better protected if it rained. Plus it had some great fishing themed BLING.
For the first time on the trip we set up Kim's new ultra-light tarp. Super neat and it can be used as a tent as well. After another dinner and conversation we all took a walk on the beach. The wind had died down but it was starting to sprinkle just a little.
Toasty warm and dry in my tent now.
I'm sure in nice weather camping on the beach is amazing. I can still hear the waves crashing from my tent, so peaceful and relaxing to send me off to sleep. Was thinking today on the hike that I normally hike to a summit to get views and the reward of reaching the top. But on this hike the reward seems to be the hiking itself and getting over plateaus to the next river outlet or cove. Something new to try and a different reward, but certainly just as enjoyable!
Sad that tomorrow is the last day of the hike...

8/6/16 Day 5.
Seely Beach to Big Salmon River/Fundy Trail Interpretive Center
11:00-3:30 map = 7km Guide Book= 8.3km/5.2miles

After a super leisurely morning of breakfast on the beach and a bit of a cluster f$&@ packing up camp we were off to a nearly crack of noon start. I think at this point none of us were ready to end the adventure. The gentle ascent off the beach didn't disappoint as usual. It was actually a bit easier than the previous 4 days – but still not entirely gradual. The guide book was using adjectives like cozy and gentle and leisurely and relatively flat… so we were a bit nervous. There were actually some great views from the top of the plateaus (see what I did there?). And the CUDS were actually much easier and fewer than the rest of the trail.
At one point we saw what we thought was a large rock slide but quickly realized it was the new road that they are building. We kept seeing signs of civilization off and on from there. At the long beach 'primitive' campsite you are 100' from a large parking lot with picnic tables and privys. The trail seemed like it may be a bit of a let down from here – too much civilization. But there was a quick return to the woods on the other side of the parking lot and felt better. But by now we were all ready to either eat- shower- or have a beer. Or all 3. Possibly simultaneously. There were quite a few day hikers in this area as well, as apparently the new road they are building has opened up much of this area to be far more accessible to quicker access to Long Beach. Still everyone we encountered was so polite and nice and seemed to really be enjoying the trails as well.
After the last few cable stairs there were still some sketchy spots on the river to navigate, maybe there have been recent wash outs and they are rerouting some of the trails? It seemed a little odd, as we could clearly see the road and Interpretive Center, so we were all thinking this area would be well maintained for day hikers. All too soon we got to the suspension bridge.
This adventure was over...
Fun times and a great trip with friends.
Looking forward to the next adventure.

Map total = 37.5km Guide Book total = 41.1km+10km in Fundy Ntl Park 51.1km/31.8miles + spur trail.

Wow, this sounds like an awesome hike! Thanks for posting this because I had no idea it existed and its not super far away. I had always thought that if the cutler coast loop was a longer hike I'd probably be more interested in backpacking it. But this is long enough to make a long drive worth it. And its sounds like most of the length is undeveloped/wilderness coast which is so rare around here!