Guyot Campsite Water Source Questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikeItRideIt

Reaction score
I plan to spend a night or two at the Guyot campsite within the next 2 weeks.
Does anyone have recent information on the state of the spring?
Is it still flowing?

For filtration, I have a Sawyer Squeeze Water Filtration System.
Does anyone have experience filling the pouch for this system from the spring?
Any issues to be aware of or tips?

I've only filled it from larger streams/rivers in the past and I'm not sure what to expect at Guyot.

Thanks!

Can't speak to the condition of the spring now, but when I stayed there a couple of years ago in late September, the spring was running with a light flow. I have the same filter, and didn't have any issues with filling the pouch.

A bottled water bottle (e.g. Smart Water) with the top half cut off makes a handy scoop for those times when you can't fill the Sawyer pouch directly; even when you can, the scoop can be faster.
A Sawyer Mini and small pouch can be stored in the scoop bottle.

In mid-June it was flowing. As others have mentioned, not a strong flow. I too used Smart Water bottles to gather water pre-filter. The water was damned cold.

As an aside, the caretaker said she had not ever filtered her water, and had no health issues, but I am not as daring. Enjoy your trip!

caretaker said she had not ever filtered her water, and had no health issues, but I am not as daring.
I have never seen the source at Guyot dry. As far as filtering, a previous long-term caretaker told me he used to drink the water straight until he happened to be rummaging up in the drainage and saw all the dog poop.

Since the overflow camping used to be (still?) along the ridge, I can imagine what is flowing downhill toward that water supply; not just from dogs. I haven't stayed there in a very long time.

I have always treated the water, this is a prime location for upslope contamination. Some folks are not affected by Giardia, and a young healthy caretaker is probably a good candidate for resistance. its prevalent in the non developed world although folks who do third world treks have commented that the prescription drug that treats it in the US is available over the counter.

I have always treated the water, this is a prime location for upslope contamination. Some folks are not affected by Giardia, and a young healthy caretaker is probably a good candidate for resistance. its prevalent in the non developed world although folks who do third world treks have commented that the prescription drug that treats it in the US is available over the counter.
Treat it. Better safe than sorry. Hikers have been dropping dookies above that Spring for decades. Take it from someone whom has had Giardia. You do not want to go there.

Drank water from the spring Friday on a Pemi Loop and still standing!

From the CDC: "Acute giardiasis develops after an incubation period of 1 to 14 days (average of 7 days)." So let us know in another week or so if all is still good!

Treat it. Better safe than sorry. Hikers have been dropping dookies above that Spring for decades. Take it from someone whom has had Giardia. You do not want to go there.

I was under the impression that Giardia outside a host doesn't live very long (a week), although it lasts a lot longer in the cold (1-2 months). So, the risk is tied to recently how heavily used its been and the temperatures in the area. Cold and busy is riskier than hot and vacant, but regardless the risk is still very low (but non-zero). If you're going to be out for a long time (e.g., a thruhike) then the risk adds up and treating becomes more important.

Last edited:
I used that site a lot many years ago ( 1980's) and never treated it, never had an issue. Then again, sometimes we were the only ones there. With today's crowds and the overflow and such, I would use tablets or filter to be safe. I've had Giardia myself, once is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazo View Post

Drank water from the spring Friday on a Pemi Loop and still standing!

When I was still a relatively new backpacker I drank untreated water at Guyot for the night and morning we were there. The group said it was safe to do and the only person with a filter refused to share. Two weeks later I got what must have been giardia. You WILL know when you have it. Never knew you could pee out that side... Never wish to repeat that experience!

It was late summer during that trip and I would be very suspicious of all the spillover sites upslope of that water source contaminating it.

So yeah... you aren't in the clear for a while.

... As an aside, the caretaker said she had not ever filtered her water, and had no health issues, but I am not as daring. Enjoy your trip!
I think this is bad advice for anyone in an official capacity to give and certainly flies against AMC protocols.

Over the years I had the occasion to ask several caretakers at various location about how they treated their water. Off the top of my head, Roaring Brook BSP - No treat, source is pipe upstream off of Roaring brook; Chimney Pond - No treat, pipe up to spring along Cathedral Trail, RMC - No treat - spring between Gray Knob and Crag. Liberty Spring - No treat - spring. Guyot - No treat - Spring. One major exception was the RMC Log Cabin - there was a specific warning posted to treat the water as its in the water shed of at least the Gray Knob outhouse and possibly Crag camp. Despite these devices being solar powered composters, they like many composters have issues with excess liquids and on occasion they have to drain it some. They do bleach the liquid but ultimately its disposed of in the watershed. Unlike Guyot the other locations have little human use while the Guyot water source is surface water draining though a fairly small area with potential for human waste upstream.

Almost all had the disclaimer that they recommend treatment

The background for backcountry treatment is a federal law from quite a few years ago that mandated treatment of surface waters for public water sources. The definition of pubic water sources was quite broad. Many community water systems were abandoned rather than take on the liability for water quality. Frequent testing is required and if its not done the party in control gets sued. AMC elected to drill ground water wells at all the huts rather than deal with the regulations. This was an expensive proposition as they had to fly in a well drilling rig in pieces to each hut. Even with so called ground water wells, I have tasted some sort of strong chemical treatment at LOC and Zealand. Unfortunately folks with sensitivity to water contaminants may be exposed to something in the water so the easiest approach is to officially recommend treatment to the public and then allow the employees to ignore at their peril.

I know folks who have "drank water all their lives out of streams" with no issues and gotten Giardia. There is a yearly debate on whiteblaze on thru hiker water treatments, plenty of folks proudly announce they didn't treat but frequently others indicate that they got giardia and lost a few days off the trail because of it. There is also the rather icky argument to some that the primary source of Giardia is poor sanitation and the fecal oral route is the typical vector. It may be a vector but it means its in the general population for someone is bringing it into the woods. Luckily backcountry waterborne virus's are not an issue in the US but I have talked to some international hikers who are advised to filter and then chemically treat due to the potential for some really nasty viruses endemic in the water supply. Sadly Norovirus outbreaks are now a yearly occurrence on the AT but this is usually a surface contact issue.

Excellent! You are probably in the clear.