Baxter State Park - backpacking in the Scientific Forrest Mgmt Area (SFMA)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

Date of Hikes: 8/11/16 through 8/13/16
a. Park Tote Rd to Little East Leanto via Frost Pond Trail
b. Little East Leanto to Webster Outlet Leanto via Freezeout Trail
c. Webster Outlet to Park Tote Rd via Freezeout trail - Wadleigh Brook Trail - Wadleigh Mtn Road

Trail Conditions: The trails in the SFMA area of Baxter State Park were some of the WORST I have ever come across. I gather that it is a rather remote area but the trails do not look like they have been maintained in at least 5 years. The trails had terrible drainage and overgrowth... with young saplings or waist-high grass coming at you from all sides. There are many sections with long stretches of old wooden bog bridges slippery from mud and moss. The bridges served their purpose... however, as you are crossing the bridges it was not uncommon to be whipped in the face by branches from above. I think a few dozen hikers with machetes could take back much of the trail but the drainage issues will persist until they are addressed as well. The saving grace is that many of the sections were marked very well with blue blazes and ribbon.

Special Equipment Required: I recommend convertible pants for cutting through the overgrowth and poles for the boggy parts.

Comments: The Little East Leanto and Webster Outlet Leanto were absolutely beautiful spots to spend a night however the trails were so bad that it was simply not worth hiking to. I recommend renting a canoe for the night to paddle out to Little East on Lake Matagamon. If you are really adventurous you could try the trip out to Webster but it was a daunting trip. Part of the reason we chose the sites in the first place was that much of Baxter has limits on number of campers the backcountry sites can accommodate. If you have >4 you may have trouble finding anything good.

The Wadleigh Brook trail was so bad through the logging areas that our group abandoned it and took road back to the car.

Your name: CK