Sentinel and the Niagara Fallses, 13 Aug. 16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On Saturday at the Baxter Bash most people left in the morning, since rain was forecast throughout the day, but four of us remained, and we decided to hike up Sentinel. Besides me there were Ellen, Brian, and Cathy. I saw a number of other people on the trails and roads throughout the day as well.

We started and ended the hike from our campsite at Foster Field. We first road walked down to Kidney Pond and hiked around the edge about half way to the Sentinel Mountain Trail. It was cloudy and threatening rain for the first part of the hike, but never actually rained. Sentinel Mtn. Trail rises fairly moderately for a while, and then more steeply at the end, and then you're at the summit loop, which loops the summit. Sentinel's less than 2000 feet high, so there's not much elevation gain.

Luckily for us, the sky cleared up just before we got to the summit loop, so we had great views at all of the many viewpoints, especially the northern one facing Doubletop and OJI, and the eastern one facing Katahdin.

After hanging out there for a while we came back down. The others went back to camp, but I decided to check out Little and Big Niagara Falls. So I headed south towards the Daicy Pond Road and the Appalachian Trail. When I got to the Nesowadnehunk Stream I found I had to ford it. It wasn't hard, except that the rocks I had to walk on near the far shore were very slippery with some algae.

After crossing the stream I headed south on the AT a little ways and visited first Little Niagara Falls and then Big Niagara Falls, which are each only a little ways off the trail.

Then I came back to the road and road walked it back to camp. Not long after I got there it started raining.

I'd been on Sentinel Mountain once before, but not the Fallses.

Here are the pictures.

--

Cumulus

NE111 in my 50s: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2)
NE111 in my 60s: 45/115 (35/67, 10/46, 0/2)
NEFF: 50/50; Cat35: 39/39; WNH4K: 39/48; NEHH 84/100
LT NB 2009

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll

We've dubbed OJI as "High Five" - what do you think?
Also, along the Sentinel Trail, more than mid-way, there was a huge rock of shell fossils, the likes of which I have never seen before.
Great trips, people, but the weather could have been dryer for packing up.