Recommended Loop for Macomb, East, South and Hough

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie

Reaction score
Hello all, it's been way too long since I have hiked in earnest, but now that my son and former hiking partner has completed his education, he's agreed to go with me again. Man that was a long 7 years! I'm looking forward to doing some peak-bagging this fall and I've got the 4 lesser Dix peaks in mind for a day trip in late September.

Just looking for some recent information about the current herd path conditions and any recommendations on which direction to do the loop, we are looking to come in from Elk Lake.

Thanks

Charlie

Last edited:
I prefer climbing the Macomb slide rather than descending it. Herd paths are pretty easy to follow, in much better condition now coming down from Hough along Lillian Brook herd path.

Thanks Daniel, I think that's what we'll do. Any rough idea of the round trip in miles if we descend Hough to the maintained trail and then back out to Elk Lake?

Well, we had a successful trip last Thursday, the weather was awesome. It was great to get out again, I have the hiking fever back for sure. thanks again for the advice to ascend rather than descend the Macomb slide. Now that I have been there, I can certainly appreciate it.

Check out my trip report here - http://www.adirondackhikingjournal.net/dixrange.html