Observation Point and Angels Landing, Zion

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Eagan

Reaction score
Squeezed these two in around a wedding in Springdale. We arrived 8/11, a day after heavy rains closed the trails and the only road through the park (thanks to a house-sized boulder). Virgin River was fast and very muddy.

The trick to these hikes is to do them early in the day — or not in August, where temps reached 107 midday. Traffic is so heavy you have to take shuttle buses, which can slow down start times. We did Observation Point first, 8 miles round trip and about 2100 feet up. Hidden Canyon trail was closed for trail repair so we continued up many switchbacks, through Echo Canyon, up past the East Rim Trail, and then the ridge to Observation Point. Four hours including a long time at the Point.

Observation_1892.jpg

After a long wedding celebration, we got a late start for Angels Landing, getting off the bus at 9:00 a.m. This is a very crowded route with a lot of exposure once you get to the ridge. Chains are actually more trouble than they're worth sometimes. Steps carved into the sandstone can also be difficult as they are round and smooth and covered with grit. But the real problem: people who freeze in place, holding up progress in both directions. This one is five miles and 1500 feet up; took three hours, again spending a lot of time at the top.

Angels_1935.jpg

This isn't the top but you can sort of see where and how the trail goes.

It was really hot. If I went back I would go in early October. Would also consider Kolob Canyons and Plateau rather than Zion, although Cable Mountain looked interesting.

Last April I did a "Trans-Zion Trek" with a couple of friends. The trek is a roughly 60-mile hike across the park. Maybe at some point I will find a little bit of time and write up a trip report to share with everyone.

We approached Angels Landing descending West Rim Trail, so we go a nice overview of the crest that most visitors probably miss:
DSC08157.jpg

Saw that trail and it looked great but we didn't have the time.

West Rim must be a great hike, although not much shade.

Saw that trail and it looked great but we didn't have the time.

West Rim must be a great hike, although not much shade.

I think some of the best views that we had in the park have been along West Rim Trail:
DSC08062.jpg DSC08137.jpg

Having said this, my favorite place was actually along East Rim Trail, just a short distance from where trail to Observation Point departs from East Rim Trail:
DSC08201.jpg