Kelty External - Replacement Hip Belts

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave.m

Reaction score
PSA: Fans of the Kelty external frame packs might be interested to know that Kelty is now selling replacement hip belts, shoulder straps and mesh back panels direct from their web site.

I picked up a Kelty Tioga from Craigslist several years ago on a lark. An inexpensive experiment.

I was blown away and my back is much happier.

The replacement hip belt is not reinforced but this keeps my skinny hip bones happier. I no longer carry super heavy loads and if I did, I might prefer a reinforced belt. But with a moderate load, it's fantastic.

If you have an old Kelty kicking around, you can now put an updated suspension on it for a very reasonable cost.

Good tip. I spent quite some time searching online for a replacement hip belt and shoulder straps about a dozen years ago (for a 1973 Kelty Tioga) and did find them for sale (Summit Hut?). Ordering from the Kelty website makes more sense.

PSA: Fans of the Kelty external frame packs might be interested to know that Kelty is now selling replacement hip belts, shoulder straps and mesh back panels direct from their web site.

I picked up a Kelty Tioga from Craigslist several years ago on a lark. An inexpensive experiment.

I was blown away and my back is much happier.

The replacement hip belt is not reinforced but this keeps my skinny hip bones happier. I no longer carry super heavy loads and if I did, I might prefer a reinforced belt. But with a moderate load, it's fantastic.

If you have an old Kelty kicking around, you can now put an updated suspension on it for a very reasonable cost.

Thank You ! 10 Thumbs Up !
I love my old Kelty external frame, my 40 year old National Park patches on it AND the looks I get from beaten down internal frame hikers.
The other thing you can do is take the pack completely off the frame and throw it in the washing machine.