Moss ponds access and mini gorge?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy

Reaction score
Is there any access to the Moss Ponds that are located South West of Underwood and are they located on private property. I am interested in checking out what looks to be a mini gorge that lies just north of the ponds and wander about in the small hills that are South East of the ponds. Any info or advice on the best way to approach that area would be greatly appreciated. My plan now is to bushwhack in from the parking area near the Northway interchange but I'm not sure I want to leave my car there unattended for a full day and I do not know the ownership status of that area.

It's correct that Moss Ponds are on the private land of the Underwood Club.

The canyon is on state land and is well known to ice climbers as Underwood Canyon. There are several ice lines that form in there in the winter. The generally accepted access is from the point where the state land line intersects route 73 approximately here:

http://www.adirondackrock.com/map.htm?lat=44.09666800149085&lng=-73.68069443056656

and following the property line south, then west, and then traveling SW on state land into the north end of the canyon.