Mt. Oscar: Views from the Top Indeed!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEO

Reaction score
If you are looking for an easy hike to reach to reach an exceptional viewpoint, then I would highly recommend Mt. Oscar. It is especially good for late-afternoon/early-evening viewing, as the primary views are to the Southwest.

14241522_10209907480819059_7290103260262474561_o.jpg

I stumbled upon Mt. Oscar & the view that it offers quite by accident. In planning for a hiking day on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend, I decided to take care of some loose ends: N. Peak Loon Mountain, Black Mountain (Lincoln), & Millen Hill. Guessing that I might still have time to do a third hiked Sunday, I decided to add on Mt. Rosebrook, as it figured to be relatively easy & it was positioned well with respect to Millen Hill & my route home. When I looked up Rosebrook on NewEnglandTrailConditions.com, I noticed that a number of people had combined it with Mt. Oscar & at least one person mentioned nice views from the summit ledge. I'm not one to normally hike for a view in and of itself, but I did discover that Mt. Oscar might—with an optimistic prominence assumption—be a NH300 peak. Well, that was good enough of a reason to include it for me.

I hiked the access road from the Bretton Woods base lodge up to the top of Mt. Oscar, where I reveled in the magnificent late-day view. After a respite, I took the short hiking trail that takes you most of they way along the ridge over to Mt. Rosebrook, followed by the last bit to the summit on the access road. I descended to my car via some direct, nicely-mowed ski trails.

The downside of this hike is that, other than the short ridgeline trail, you're on ski trails & access roads the whole time. On the other hand, hiking in the open of the ski trails, means you have great views for virtually the entirety of the hike.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]I hiked the access road from the Bretton Woods base lodge up to the top of Mt. Oscar, where I reveled in the magnificent late-day view. After a respite, I took the short hiking trail that takes you most of they way along the ridge over to Mt. Rosebrook, followed by the last bit to the summit on the access road. I descended to my car via some direct, nicely-mowed ski trails.

The downside of this hike is that, other than the short ridgeline trail, you're on ski trails & access roads the whole time. On the other hand, hiking in the open of the ski trails, means you have great views for virtually the entirety of the hike.[/QUOTE]

I agree Mount Oscar should be on 52WAV list. I don't mind hiking ski trails either, but my visit to Mount Oscar was partial bush whack from the west side. Mount Oscar would be a fine foliage destination as Zealand Valley is rich in hardwoods.

Last edited: