The Baldface Loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey J

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
After researching this hike for a couple of years, it was great to actually get up there and do it on 8/23/16. The accolades bestowed on these mountains are very well deserved. It was a fabulous day hike with everything one could possibly ask for. I went clockwise and chose the Slippery Brook Trail to ascend. It's a long steady climb on a well constructed and scenic trail. This route avoids the ledges on South Baldface (an attraction to many climbers) but positions you south of Baldface Knob (3025') thus making it a natural part of the loop.

It was suggested here on another thread that I include Mt Eastman (2939' and 52WAV) but the nearly 2 mile (and extra 400 foot) detour seemed like more of a burden than an adventure at the trail junction, so I settled for a photo and moved on to what was already shaping up us a challenging solo hike for me. The weather was hot without much breeze and it was very bright as the sun reflected off the rock ledges all along the stunningly beautiful traverse across the long ridge. I was happy that I applied sunscreen and remembered sunglasses.

IMG_0111.jpg

From Baldface Knob up to South Baldface (3570') and then across to North Baldface (3610') and eventually out to Eagle Crag (3030'), it is just one spectacular view after another in every direction. Mt Washington is clearly visible as well as the "backs" of the Wildcats and Carters and the entire Wild River Wilderness. West and East Royce to the north, lakes and flatlands in Maine to the east, and Kearsarge North to the south. And of course, constant views back and forth from one Baldface to the other from all along the ridge. It was an absolutely glorious day.

IMG_0093.jpg
IMG_0109a South Baldface.jpg
IMG_0112 South and North Baldface.jpg

I descended on the Bicknell Ridge Trail and stopped at the Emerald Pool to soak my feet. Ahhh. It was a little disappointing in the late afternoon light, kind of dark and shadowy, not bright green so no photos there. I clocked this hike at just under 12 miles and around 3700 feet of elevation and it took me about 9.5 hours. I consumed 2 liters of water which I carried from the start. I really loved this hike and it's about time I did it! It's definitely out of the way on the NH/Maine border, especially coming over from Franconia as I did, but it was certainly worth it. It's billed as one the top sub 4000' hikes in NH and it may well be the very best in that category.

*The photos are all mine but the photo-stitching on the 2 Baldface panoramas was provided by KMan*

Last edited:
The Eastman summit, which was open and glorious 10 years ago, has grown in somewhat since then. Still good, but less essential. Bicknell Ridge Tr. easily tops the parallel segment of the Baldface Circle Trail, so you chose well.

Last edited:
Here's another photo-stitch courtesy of technical assistant KMan. Looking up to South Baldface from the vantage point of Baldface Knob. The top of the ledges and the trail junction would be at the lower right of the photo. Also a zoom shot of the ledges below South Baldface as seen from across the way when descending North Baldface.

IMG_0074a Baldface Junction to South Baldface.jpgIMG_0105b.jpg