Crawford and Stairs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey J

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
On 8/20/16, I hiked Mt Crawford and Stairs Mt along the vintage 1845 Davis Path, my first extended hike on the old bridle path that takes a full 15 miles to get to Mt Washington. I had only done a small segment 4 years ago when bagging Isolation. I was accompanied by PMC rider and fundraiser extraordinaire and now mechanic-at-large, KMan, a hiking partner for over 30 years. In fact, this particular hike was his choice. It was another beautiful day and if there has to be a drought, well, the silver lining is surely the endless string of fair, sunny days that result.

The trailhead on Rt 302 is just opposite Notchland and sits down at just 1000 feet, so the climb up to Crawford (3119') is not just a walk in the park. You gain 2100 feet in 2.5 miles and though its never really steep and the trail is in good shape, it is a steady uphill climb. The views start early on the open ledges before the Crawford spur and they just keep getting better and better, first on the spur trail and finally on the summit. It's a full 360 degree view and compares favorably with such iconic belvederes as Bondcliff or Carrigain.

Wow! It's an amazing vantage point for such a relatively low peak, a worthy destination on its own if that's all you have time for. We both took a ton of photos and I will include just a sample. The view of Crawford Notch flanked by Willey and Webster is terrific, but then it extends all along the southern Presidential ridge from Webster to Jackson, Pierce, Eisenhower, Franklin, Little Monroe, Monroe, and Washington, then it curls around to Boott Spur. It is really very impressive especially on such a clear day.

IMG_1832a.jpg
IMG_1832f Crawford Notch to Washington.jpg

We were both taken with "The Fist", a natural rock formation on the summit that looks like a sculpture. It's also pretty cool that we can see Stairs Mt (3468') our next destination, off in the distance, set up like back of the stage scenery.

38.jpg

The middle of this hike is relatively easy with a lot of open ridge and only minor ups and downs. Stairs Col is a particularly pretty spot. There is one fairly steep pitch leading up the Giant Stairs but soon enough you find yourself stepping out onto the apron of a wide open cliff which is in fact the "top step" and the summit of Stairs. (The actual summit is probably just back in the woods a bit) More great views. I mostly just absorb the scenery while KMan takes about 700 photos. Neither of us is too impressed by the view of Resolution across the way. It looks like a rather summit-less hump so we decide not to bother with what is clearly going to be the bronze medal peak for the day. We don't need no stinkin checkmarks. We head for home or at least the trailhead where a cold one is waiting.

The hike totals 10 miles back and forth, and around 3100 feet of elevation gain. I think it took us around 9 hours but we spent a lot of time on both summits, naming peaks, occasionally correctly, and taking photos. Why not? Being up top with those views is really what its all about. A great day and a long running tradition maintained, despite the fact that on this day, there would be no Resolution.

*Not sure who took what photos so I will just credit KMan
*Also not sure how I ended up with those photos on the bottom but you get the picture

Attachments

• IMG_1832d.jpg
    IMG_1832d.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:
I wouldn't write off Resolution so easily. ;) It's summit ledges are pretty sweet:

And the lesser-visited southeast peak also offers great views with a bit of solitude:

Good points, and Dingo your photos illustrate the message quite well. We were just lazy. I enjoyed the hike up Crawford enough to repeat it sometime in the future. Or maybe approach Resolution from the south via Mt Langdon and Mt Parker Trails. It would be a bit longer but new territory for me.

Crawford is one of my favorite peaks and I don't feel like it gets enough recognition. Nice photos and report!