Karl Meltzer AT Record 2016

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to Meltzer:

-average 50 miles a day

-finished (after running every day for 45 days) by running 83 miles nonstop.

Just... wow.

Can we have separate threads for Meltzer's FTK and Bertollini's whatever-happened?

I think Lauky and I may have met Meltzer when he made his 2008 attempt. We were near Middle Carter doing a Carter's loop heading south bound on the AT when a runner came by. He had only a very small pack or hydration pack I forget now which it was. He paused briefly to say high and mentioned he was trying to break the AT speed record and would be meeting a van I think near Pinkham Notch. I've often thought about the encounter and wondered how it turned out. When I noticed in the article that Meltzer had made a 2008 attempt it brought it all back. I looked up this picture taken shortly after the encounter to double check the date it was 10/04/2008

Great video. Really enjoyed watching it.

Shows how non-glamorous such an attempt is, but also highlights just how driven you need to be to pull off something like that. Great team around him as well.

Last edited:
I also liked the video a lot. Having never done a long distance trail, I've always liked reading or watching stuff on it. The video gave great insight to a record like this, quite cool. I'll say this, you have to have grit to push like that.

I also liked the video a lot. Having never done a long distance trail, I've always liked reading or watching stuff on it. The video gave great insight to a record like this, quite cool. I'll say this, you have to have grit to push like that.

I was thinking of this video yesterday listening to Boston Marathon coverage on the radio. Marathon seems like nothing anymore. After Meltzer did 2100+ miles on 45 consecutive days he pushed through 85 straight miles to the finish. And not on pavement. Marathon? Big whip. :)

That was wonderful.

I found Meltzer's reverence for the AT inspiring.

Thanks for sharing the link, peakbagger.