Fabric insulated overboots?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natlife

Reaction score
Who still makes fabric insulated overboots similar to OR Brooks Ranger? Seems like a lot of manufacturers discontinued production. I found the Boreal Expe over boot and the Altus Expedition Overboot. Any other options out there. I'm not a fan of neoprene as a clothing insulation material.

Did a bit of googling and it looks like Fabric Overboots are real tough to find. Much like trying to find supergaitors. When I was active doing the High "A" thing I used Wild Country overboots and was real happy with them. Unfortunately I don't think they are being made any longer. They seem to be available on Ebay and some other private sale consortiums. The critical measurement with these is the sole length. They need to be long enough to fit but not too long as to create extra slop in the fabric. Very critical for crampon fit especially if you are using a step in.

they look good, but I wonder how durable the soles are.
This is a product that is designed for High Altitude mountaineering. Denali would be a prime example for their intended use. Usually they are used on the upper reaches of larger mountains were the primary surface is snow and ice. The main reason to use these is to prevent conductive heat loss through the sole of your boot while wearing crampons. The fabric sole in addition to a layer or two of closed cell foam is between your boot sole and the outer of the overboot. When moving very slow at below zero temperatures coupled with low oxygen the added layers between your foot and the crampon highly improve the insulative effect. The same principle can be applied by wrapping the head of your ice axe with foam. Here is some info on heat loss which goes over conduction. https://preppingtosurvive.com/2012/11/13/5-ways-your-body-loses-heat-and-how-to-avoid-them/

As skiguy mentionned, these are intended to be used with crampons or as camp booties with soles or even to sleep. The sole insulation is one aspect of it but so is the whole front of the foot. When you think about it, we can wear 3 inch thick jackets, but we have half an inch around our toes.

I'm out east, so my playground for these is the presidetials, when it's -20 with >50mph sustained winds. Yes, I'm that type of guy.

I'm thinking I might just end up making my own because nothing in the market does exactly what I want. Ideally I'd want something I can put on and off quickly without removing my crampons. Kinda like a puffy jacket for my feet. For the soles I can always sandwich a high density foam cutout when I put the crampons on.

I'm thinking I might just end up making my own because nothing in the market does exactly what I want. Ideally I'd want something I can put on and off quickly without removing my crampons. Kinda like a puffy jacket for my feet. For the soles I can always sandwich a high density foam cutout when I put the crampons on.

If you come up with something let us know. I have always used an Insulated Supergaitor in heavy conditions on the trail and a separate camp bootie or a doulble boot liner for camp in the Whites. I have always used a high end Boot to begin with. I would be very interested to see some sort of overboot that could be put on without removing your crampons. With supergaitors you put them on and they stay on. At lower altitudes like the Whites conductive heat loss is not as great of threat especially with a high end boot with well insulated soles and uppers. A lot of it for me is convience of use. If it were cold enough for Overboots they would already be on anyhow. I would also think that in the Whites the lack of an exposed sole would present traction issues when not using crampons. Personally I would not want to fuss with some sort of overboot in Winter Conditions. https://www.mtntools.com/cat/techwear/Gaiters/mountaintoolssupergaiters.htm

This is a lighter weight product designed for lighter weight footwear and will not work with a mountaineering boot unlike these. http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewItem?itemid=262155849892

They specifically state they are made for mountaineering boots and double boots as well as some single boots. They had several different types. I may have posted the link for a single boot in error. You tell them what boot you have, the size and they make them for your actual boots so the fit is good.

They specifically state they are made for mountaineering boots and double boots as well as some single boots. They had several different types. I may have posted the link for a single boot in error. You tell them what boot you have, the size and they make them for your actual boots so the fit is good.
Very good. Having it custom made is a major plus. As I already mentioned proper fit is critical to crampon management. Although the OP was looking for Overboots that did not use neoprene.

Last edited:
If the main goal of these is to prevent conductive heat loss when stopping couldn't you just carry a chunk of thick foam to stand on the same way you would sit on your z-fold at a stop? Would be a superlight and cheap way to prevent conduction wouldn't it?

For day hiking in really cold weather in the Northeast wouldn't simply going with a vapor barrier sock/improvised vb sock with an oven bag or plastic bag/etc be sufficient? And if conductive heat loss at stops is the big issue wouldn't any home made option that leaves the soles/traction exposed essentially not accomplish anything because you are still losing heat conductively through the soles?

As was previously mentioned most of these products seem to be made for truly extreme weather where you are moving far slower (steep climbing, on ropes, low oxygen, etc) versus the relative quick pace of walking in snowshoes or on packed trails. My feet get cold pretty easy so these all seem like interesting products but I'm not sure if there is really a benefit for the typical Winter hike in New England. I'd think they would be helpful beyond just conductive heat loss because they are sealed like a sock so they must retain some additional measure of heat due to that. Anyone on here actually using a product like this?

Not sure of your target application, but my go-to winter hiking shoe (down to single digits) is a pair of trail runners with an integrated gaiter. If it is moderately cold (15 or below) I will stuff some puffy insulation between the shoe body and the gaiter. If it is really cold (single digits) I will put these on top of my combined kit:
https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Izumi-Softshell-Shoe-Cover/dp/B004N62JEC

The insulated booties stay in my pack always even on warmer winter temps as my "puffy jacket in case of emergency" for my feet.

I also utilize the trick of putting a piece of old sleeping pad (cut to size) in my snowshoe bindings for less conductive heat loss. I have not done the same for crampons.

Very good. Having it custom made is a major plus. As I already mentioned proper fit is critical to crampon management. Although the OP was looking for Overboots that did not use neoprene.

This particular product is not entirely neoprene. It has nylon panels as well as rubber coatings. It would seem that anything that is completely a fabric would be very baggy and cumbersome (sticking crampon points in wrinkles in it, etc) and be hard to get a good fit or keep insulation snug to prevent cold pockets inside.

I also utilize the trick of putting a piece of old sleeping pad (cut to size) in my snowshoe bindings for less conductive heat loss. I have not done the same for crampons.

That's a great idea.