4th Connecticut Lake on the top of NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeRmudfun

Reaction score
This is the last trip report from our vacation a week ago. We figured we would go for an easy one and head for the US/Canadian Border at the top of NH to hike to the smallest, but most important Connecticut Lake…The 4th Connecticut Lake.
Parking for the hike is at the Border Crossing. There is a sign that leads you around the Border and Customs Building to the trail. Along the way you can see the where the US and Canada Border is. Cheryl and I were in different countries at one point, but I came back as the grass isn’t always greener on the other side of the border, I looked! :D
At the trailhead there is a sign in log and just so you know there is also a sign showing the dogs are not allowed. First time we were here 10 years ago we had our dog with us, so we had to come back the next day without her to hike the trail. The whole trail if you include the loop around the lake is 1.9 miles. This is a hike the whole family could do, we saw a group coming down with young children. The 1st ½ mile has a couple steep sections, but very doable. I had a bum knee when we did it because of a geocache half way up the Flume Cascades…UGH! I just took it slow and it was fine.
Along the whole trail are boundary markers in the ground showing when you cross into Canada and back. The first time we did this our son was young and got out kick out of leaving the country and then coming back in along the trail. The trail is well defined and easy to follow. There are some mucky spots, but again, this is not a hard trail. When you are coming back down you will get some views of the Canadian Mountains.
Once you get up to the lake you can go right or left, we chose to go to the left. The lake is only 2.5 acres with a max depth of 5 feet. We were surprised to see any water in it with the drought we are having. Heading around the lake from the left and going about ¾ of the way will bring you to the reason why this lake is important. We listened for the babbling brook and came upon the beginning of the Connecticut River, the greatest and longest river in New England. It is hard to believe looking at this little lake that is the beginning of a mighty river. Very cool and well worth the little hike to the little lake!:cool:

Video is best viewed at 1080p60

Very kool and looks like fun. I believe this is also the Nothern end of the Cohos Trail. We were just up that way a few weeks ago also. Such a different flavor of NH than the heart of the Whites.

Very kool and looks like fun. I believe this is also the Nothern end of the Cohos Trail. We were just up that way a few weeks ago also. Such a different flavor of NH than the heart of the Whites.
Very true indeed! :)

We did that as well... I was able to span the brook (CT River) that is the only release of that lake and took a pic.. Being I was from CT and now live a mile from it in Lancaster I enjoyed it so much.. No elevation gain so no one much goes there it was fun going up there.. eating in the Pitt's ..get away from the madding crowd's in the Whites... Dog enjoyed it too.. no signs saying none of this or none of that.. along the trails.