Winter Boot Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Few days ago my son showed me an article in Popular Science (Nov/Dec 2016, pp 58-59) that mentioned Vibram Arctic Grip material that is supposed to give much better traction on ice. According to the article "When the wearer steps, the compound causes a split-second melt-then-freeze reaction; melting disperses the ice, and freezing against the textured sole creates more surface area for the lugs to grab onto."

Does anyone have boots that use this material? I guess it's pretty new, introduced just last January, so there hasn't been much time for real world testing but if anyone has any experience with it I would love to hear about it.

Here is Vibram's own video praising their product: https://us.vibram.com/products-menu/grip/arctic-grip/

Few days ago my son showed me an article in Popular Science (Nov/Dec 2016, pp 58-59) that mentioned Vibram Arctic Grip material that is supposed to give much better traction on ice. According to the article "When the wearer steps, the compound causes a split-second melt-then-freeze reaction; melting disperses the ice, and freezing against the textured sole creates more surface area for the lugs to grab onto."

Does anyone have boots that use this material? I guess it's pretty new, introduced just last January, so there hasn't been much time for real world testing but if anyone has any experience with it I would love to hear about it.

Here is Vibram's own video praising their product: https://us.vibram.com/products-menu/grip/arctic-grip/
Very interesting. Hopefully it works and if it does it will not be exclusive to Merrell. https://www.webtogs.com/en-UK/blog/merrell-exclusive-vibram-arctic-grip-technology/

Very interesting. Hopefully it works and if it does it will not be exclusive to Merrell. https://www.webtogs.com/en-UK/blog/merrell-exclusive-vibram-arctic-grip-technology/

I think the exclusive deal covers several deals owned by Wolverine which includes Merrell: https://outdoorindustry.org/press-r...grip-in-partnership-with-wolverine-worldwide/ I never owned any Merrell boots, so I don't know how comfortable and durable they are. I have been relatively happy with Vasque Breeze albeit I think their grip on wet rock is far from what I wish it were.

For what it's worth, we demoed the LL Bean Wildcat boot several years ago at AMC Highland Center and liked them better than Sourals, so we went and bought them. They are much lighter and warm enough for us while snowshoeing and hiking with microspikes or Kahtolas.

I spent many year's in koflachs because that was what people used back in the day. Completely waterproof and can take a crampon or snowshoe with zero issues. Then leather mountaineering boots hit the market and plastics where being abandoned like illegitimate children. I'm in Lasportiva's now and would never go back. Plastics biggest downfall to me, is the lack of flexibility on hard terrain, like rocks or hard ice. Without any give in the boot, your leg's are touqued in an abusive fashion, it's very hard on your legs, imo. Unfortunately, leather boots are not cheap. I look at it as an investment, they perform well and last many years if cared for. Mine are 12 yrs old and going strong.

There are many things I like about the Toundra: they are definitely lightweight and warm, with pretty darn good traction, and will handle additional traction fairly well (taking into account Alex's comments on straps, though!) However, something about them absolutely fries my feet and ankles (particularly the achilles). I suspect it's the zero arch support, and there just isn't sufficient volume in them for my usual add-on insole. (I need to do some more experimenting with others) Replacing the existing one would axe part of the benefit. There may also be something to exactly how the uppers flex...maybe I'm trying to put too much muscle into them. Regardless, I'm happier after twelve miles in Koflachs than after eight in the Toundra. (Yes, I'm one of those sick people for whom the cheap Koflach Degre works amazingly well.) The Toundra replaced my Caribous and I'm somewhat regretting that.

This isn't something that is really going to show up in five minutes walking around the store. I'm not sure I have much of a suggested action, just be forewarned...

I took a chance and ordered a pair of Toundras online. They fit me just fine with a pair of medium weight wool socks. Wore them around the yard after the recent snowstorm and a couple of days ago, I wore them while hiking 6 miles (flat) on the Catamount trail. Fortunately, I had no issues with them. They do have very flexible soles which for me would disqualify them for wearing with crampons, regardless of others' comments about the soft uppers.

I took a chance and ordered a pair of Toundras online. They fit me just fine with a pair of medium weight wool socks. Wore them around the yard after the recent snowstorm and a couple of days ago, I wore them while hiking 6 miles (flat) on the Catamount trail. Fortunately, I had no issues with them. They do have very flexible soles which for me would disqualify them for wearing with crampons, regardless of others' comments about the soft uppers.

I managed to get a thinner version of the Sole insole into my Toundras and my feet held up nicely for nine miles in the Belknaps last week. The sole's certainly softer than, say, plastics, but it's a lot firmer than the good ol' pac boots. Shouldn't be any major problems with properly hinged crampons.

I have been using LL Bean Arctic Sport Muck Boots. You can literally stand in running water for hours and your feet won't get wet.
I was out for a long time in the snow the other day and my feet were dry as a bone. I am not sure down to which temperature they stay warm, but I really like them - they are comfortable, with good soles, and they keep my feet completely dry when other boots won't.