Columbus Day Weekend at Baxter State Park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaze

Reaction score
A few shots from last weekend's four-night trip to Baxter. We chilled in lean-tos at Katahdin Stream Campground and hiked Katahdin (Sat. 10/8) and the Owl (Sun. 10/9) as well as doing a bit of paddling and a few shorter hikes.

A view from the Hunt Trail
p544758364-5.jpg

South Peak from Baxter Peak
p816328678-5.jpg

Signage and Foliage at Katahdin Stream Campground
p155826810-5.jpg

Topping out on the Owl
p398425069-5.jpg

Katahdin from Kidney Pond
p566078687-5.jpg

Katahdin Stream Falls
p18574918-5.jpg

Katahdin Stream
p1019717479-5.jpg

Mt. OJI from Elbow Pond
p135444675-5.jpg

Maple leaves near the lean-to.
p101351791-5.jpg

More shots on Zenfolio. Gallery, slide show.

Jonathan

Wow indeed. Great photos.

In your first photo, "View From Hunt Trail", what is the peak in the far right foreground (the round, pointy one that is mostly bare rock). Are there trails on it? Very cool mountain.

Last edited:
Thanks. That looks like a fun peak to climb with some steeps and nice views. Have to put that on the list for the next Baxter trip.

It is fun one, some folks get disappointed as it dead ends and there definitely is not an option to head over to the Hunt trail. The cliffs along the Hunt trail are really impressive.

I spent my Columbus weekend in Baxter too, as I usually do with the same group of hiking pals. We were in the North section, however, at Trout Brook Farm campground, which isn't far from the Matagamon Gate. Our highlight was my second Travelers Loop, on Saturday, 10 years to the day after my first. The views were again stunning, and this may be my favorite hike in New England. We didn't meet many other hikers, in sharp contrast to all trails to Katahdin. This photo was from the Little Knife Edge, on the section from Peak of the Ridges to The Traveler:

IMG_1419-L.jpg

We spent much of Sunday exploring trails along the East Branch of the Penobscot in the new Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument, which were a short drive from Matagamon Gate. They exceeded my expectations.

Thank you for the kind comments, very much appreciated.

DayTrip, the Owl is a terrific hike, great bang for the buck, well worth your attention.

Amicus, beautiful shot, thank you for sharing. The Traveler Loop is one of my favorite hikes in the park. I was last there in June of this year, but I don't believe I've ever done it in October. I will have to remedy that. Any shots to share from the new national monument?

Jonathan

Any shots to share from the new national monument?

This is Stair Falls on the East Branch - a set of rapids that are remarkably uniform and evenly spaced. I think that's either Billfish or Horse Mtn. in the background, to the north:

This is the view from the shore by the hut just above Haskell Rock Pitch, which is on the International Appalachian Trail. We followed the IAT for about half of our 7-mile loop: