Views from Mt. Marcy

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Bourque

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible to see Mt. Washington (New Hampshire) from Mt. Marcy? If so, I believe I was able to see it on 11/7/16. In the distance, well past the Green Mountains, there was a snow capped peak visible.

You can see Marcy from Washington so it is logical that you should be able to do the reverse.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/clarkb/what-a-view/17243

Maybe logical but actually "seeing it" is highly improbable ... especially if you examine the evidence presented by the Accuweather article.

Let's start with the viewing conditions:
... there was one particular aspect that was extremely noteworthy: the visibility. In all my time here on the summit (which totals about 2 years if you count my internship back in 2006), I have never seen visibility this good.

Plus it was backlit by sunset so the equivalent conditions for Marcy (to see Washington) would be sunrise and rare weather.

The last photo contains an arrow pointing to the ridge formed by Stark, Ellen, and Abraham in Vermont. The arrow points to a vanishingly small bump that corresponds to Marcy's location (50 miles farther west from Stark). Now you know where Marcy is supposed to be.

Now go back to the first photo, click to display it in full resolution, and try to find Marcy. Good luck. The first photo is a better representation of what you'll actually see (and in optimal viewing conditions).

Whiteface, Cascade & Porter, Giant & RPR ... all should provide a teeny-tiny glimpse of a microscopic patch of reflected light off Washington's snow-covered summit when the sun hits it at just the right angle. ​If that passes for "seeing Washington", well, so be it.

​Here's the view west from Washington.
https://www.peakfinder.org/?lat=44.2...t%20washington

FWIW, I scoured my collection of photos taken from the summits of Whiteface, Marcy, RPR, and Cascade in the hope of finding something, anything, with a glimpse of the elusive Mount Washington. Bupkis! Even on a crazy-clear day in winter on Marcy with undercast, nothing pops up above the cloud deck on the horizon.

For future Washington hunters, here's where it should be (click image to magnify):

The photo above was cropped from a 16 MPx image taken from atop Marcy this past September. To get an idea of its magnification level, it's cropped from a photo similar to this one.

Charles and Johns Brook Valley by Taras D, on Flickr

Last edited:
I think I've seen it from Giant on my first visit which was many October's ago. (20)

I'd think it would take on of those rare moments when almost all is green or brown except for the highest summits otherwise it's lost with the rest of the ridges.