Rescue on Lafayette. Hikers to be charged.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So lets look at why they will be charged

Pursuant to RSA 206:26-bb I, Any person determined by the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department to have acted negligently and requiring a search and rescue response by the Department shall be liable to the Department for the reasonable cost of the Department’s expenses for such search and rescue response. Unless the person shows proof of possessing a current year:
◾ NH Hunting or Fishing license
◾ NH Off Highway Recreational Vehicle or Snowmobile Registration
◾ NH Boat Registration
◾ A voluntary Hike Safe Card

Given the lack of details I expect it was that the injury was most reasonably caused by lack of proper equipment, I.E. traction devices. Lack of proper equipment being carried is almost a guarantee that F&G will charge their expenses. The vast majority of folks to date have paid the fee and have not contested it.

I look forward to the facts of the case coming out, (not really). But since when do you need your arms to walk? I'm lucky, I've been around so long, I can peruse these epic tales with the same intensity I use, taking out the trash. Ho Hum. I was recently asked by some sneaker wearing adventurers scaling a 4k who met me on my descent, How is up there? I replied fantastic. God Speed you cute little neophytes, as I spiked on by.:p

Thumbs up to someone getting injured while hiking. Classy.

I'm sure what he meant was that it was good to see some funds collected for the negligent behavior. At least that's how I took it. I don't know Joe so I won't speak for him. Maybe he's an evil bastard and I don't realize it. :)

I look forward to the facts of the case coming out, (not really). But since when do you need your arms to walk? I'm lucky, I've been around so long, I can peruse these epic tales with the same intensity I use, taking out the trash. Ho Hum. I was recently asked by some sneaker wearing adventurers scaling a 4k who met me on my descent, How is up there? I replied fantastic. God Speed you cute little neophytes, as I spiked on by.:p

Walking with a broken arm or dislocated shoulder can still be very painful given all the maneuvering required (especially on icy rocks). Real-life injuries are a bit more severe than in the movies. Happy Holidays? :)

Just spit-balling here but since the last sentence in the article was not this...........The women was then taken to a nearby hospital for treatment. That her injuries were superficial. I'll bet the onset of dusk was the real issue for them.

Walking with a broken arm or dislocated shoulder can still be very painful given all the maneuvering required (especially on icy rocks). Real-life injuries are a bit more severe than in the movies. Happy Holidays? :)

Ahh these weekend warriors, couldn't they suffer just a little before calling in. Yippee Ki-yay MF. :eek: I don't celebrate Holiday's, but I hope yours is good:rolleyes:. I just can't miss the original Scrooge cartoon, the best!

I would almost be happier if there was no rescue at all. All this antagonism is really annoying.

I keep waiting to read about all the hikers I saw headed up Pierce Friday morning as we were coming down. Hands in blue jean pockets, no gloves, no packs, no hats, no traction aids no goggles with winds blowing 60 tp 70 mph with 100mph gusts. Only saw three people I felt were dressed appropriately. Coming back from Mizpah hut I thought my eyeballs were going to freeze. I almost put my goggles on. No Idea how they thought they were going to summit in the fog and blowing snow.

it can't be winter on the summits, it's still November. This is still fall.

It doesn't get dark up there, its closer to the sun !

Yeah, well. Good luck with that !

I keep waiting to read about all the hikers I saw headed up Pierce Friday morning as we were coming down. Hands in blue jean pockets, no gloves, no packs, no hats, no traction aids no goggles with winds blowing 60 tp 70 mph with 100mph gusts. Only saw three people I felt were dressed appropriately. Coming back from Mizpah hut I thought my eyeballs were going to freeze. I almost put my goggles on. No Idea how they thought they were going to summit in the fog and blowing snow.

I saw similar groups last week when I did Pierce (although the winds were nothing like that). Lot of jeans, people with no packs, one guy even had a cotton golf shirt over a long john top, no water, etc. I think I've rapidly gone to Sierra's camp on this. I don't bother telling people anymore. It's too much effort and the advice is clearly unwanted. This really seems to be the "norm" now on the trails. Always see more unprepared hikers than prepared just about everywhere, not just the short and/or popular trails. If you're walking on steep ice in sneakers, wearing denim and cotton sweatshirts and you ask every person you ask "Is this the way to the summit?" and don't comprehend the obvious problem with it there is nothing I can say to sway your opinion. There's not knowing things as a beginner and there is blatantly ignoring common sense when it is perfectly clear you are taking chances or being stupid.

They almost all get out of the woods just fine so what do I know. Apparently I don't need any of the crap I insist on carrying. Unless someone specifically asks me a question or I see an imminently dangerous thing about to happen I keep my mouth shut now and just go on about my way with my "overnight pack".

I keep waiting to read about all the hikers I saw headed up Pierce Friday morning as we were coming down. Hands in blue jean pockets, no gloves, no packs, no hats, no traction aids no goggles with winds blowing 60 tp 70 mph with 100mph gusts. Only saw three people I felt were dressed appropriately.
Nothing new (and not likely to change...)

Many years ago when I was hiking Mt Washington from Ammo Ravine Tr on a nice day in the early--mid falI, we stopped to talk to a ranger on Crawford Path above the hut. He seemed reluctant to let us go--I think he was enjoying talking to the only (or almost only) party that appeared to be properly dressed and equipped. Or maybe he was just sizing us up as potential rescue party members...

Doug

I'm glad they are okay. The outdoors are more crowded then ever, while in some cases, it's bad, the outdoors are being loved by more people, not just the hardcore. Meet up hikes, scouts, runners, more women than ever are outside. (and in some cases older hikers we wondered if they could handle the outdoors that we see in the mirror now....)

Day Trip noticed the crowds in the ADK, the Whites have more spread out trailheads but once the F-Notch lots were overfull on foliage weekends, now almost every weekend is like that, most of us will only go there during the week.

When the weather down low looks like fall, it can and often feels winter like. I've thought of April and October being the most unpredictable but when you get a few days of good November weather, people get lulled into thinking the weather will be fine. I've been that guy leaving snowshoes in the car in early December and learning I needed traction & I've been on group hikes where we had intel that winter gear was needed on Adams & then a week later having well equipped friends wearing winter boots when they weren't needed & there feet hating them for it.....:rolleyes:

I was on a campout with a leader telling me of a 1968 Winter or winter-like Lafayette trip while he and a friend were under 25. It was a year after his trip to the Grand Teton. It came up as our scouts were camped in the middle of an unmarked trail. He and his friend went up OBP and had to break trail the whole way. About three miles in they got tired, found an area where they could tramp out a platform & camped right in the middle of the trail. They got up the next day, went, up, came back & packed the tent & went down. They never saw a another person the entire trip. Those days are gone. After the first snowy weekend, people are just re-breaking trail from the prior weekend on the least popular 4K peaks & on the most popular, just re-breaking from the day or two before. If you want a trail-breaking experience, you have to head to the Captain or some other trailless peak.

The GF and I just hiked up Shelburne Moriah trail yesterday and didnt see a soul. I'm becoming more and more enamored with the Wild River Wilderness area.

I had a similar experience there. Loved it - those ledges are beautiful.