Backpacking to fish light kayak/inflatable ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Anybody have any good experience/luck with a backpacking to fish light kayak/inflatable that you can recommend ?
I've seen the $5000.00 ones. I'm looking to start cheap and under 25lbs, to see if this is a habit I pursue. Thanks.

In the past I have fished some backcountry ponds, but I waded. Many ponds are shallow and you can wade pretty far out, in some ponds I used waders. I'm not a boat guy, but if you want to go inexpensive, consider a float tube. Like most things, the cost is polarized, but you can find them around a hundred bucks.

A couple of years ago a someone who posts on here used to carry an inflatable raft to some of the more inaccessible ponds in the Whites eg, Carrigain Pond. and would post pictures if his efforts. I don't know what search terms you could use to find his posts, but they are here somewhere.

REI carries a two models of folding Oru Folding Kayaks in 1200 range. Apparently you can carry them on your back must come with straps. Looks like an interesting product. There are some hike in ponds of 1 mile or so around NH I've always wanted to try a kayak on. I'd kayak more often if I didn't have to contend with car-topping the buggers. The kayaks are 23 and 26 pounds which is also hard to beat.

I bought something very similar, from Wal-Mart. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sevylor-K1-Quikpak-1-Person-Inflatable-Kayak/36056689

Really just to go with my young daughter on ponds, but their marketing make it sound like backcountry-type boat. They pack down quite small, and fold into their own pack. Paddles collapse, and even a spot for a hand pump.

I question the thickness of the vinyl, that would be my biggest concern if you hit a shoreline. But, for example, we used them at Russell Pond (Waterville Valley), Everett Lake (Weare, NH) and Cedar Pond (Milan, NH) and they were fine. Actually paddled better than I had anticipated.

For $130 +/- I figured it was a good way to get her started. Happy with them. Might be what you are looking for.

On a side note, the Fish and Game still stocks some of the remote ponds via aircraft. They list the ponds on their website.

I've been to a number of remote ponds where a small fleet of rowboats, and sometimes more, were left in the woods near a wild but suitable landing. Some locked up but most not. Some with oars, some not. (I prefer paddling a canoe with a kayak paddle and, with a sufficienctly long paddle I think you can probably paddle a row boat with one; the point being it might be easier to carry a 2 piece paddle than an inflatable.)

While these boats are private property I've yet to see them being used or any one on the ponds when I was there. So, on occasion, I've borrowed one for a couple hours, returned it from where I borrowed it, probably a little cleaner, and left a 6-pack (also easier to carry than an inflatable) under it.

These were probably towed in by snow machine though a couple of ponds weren't so far off a logging road that it'd be difficult to haul one in.

My suggestion, consider this strategy and, if you like the sport and you like a particular pond, bring in your own boat. Maybe more than one pond. Heck, old aluminum skiffs are a dime a dozen.

As someone mentioned, state F&Gs publish a list of stocked lakes and ponds as well as maps and lists of the types of fish, along with regulations, in the body of water.

Just thought I'd add my experience with both the Oru and inflatables. The oru is lighter than a quality inflatable, and definitely is quicker to prepare for launch. The oru beats an inflatable hands down for speed and general tracking, but both are VERY prone to windage. An experienced paddler will probably find the oru a bit easier to manage in wind vs an inflatable, however. As far as packability, the basic boat package (at least with the inflatable I used) is about the same, but you also need to consider pumps and hoses for the inflatable. Regarding cost, the oru is certainly more than a cheap inflatable but when you start looking at a quality inflatable the differences diminishes. Having paddled both, if I was in the market for a lightweight, durable craft with good performance where size, whether for storage or transportation, was an issue it would be the Oru. And you don't need to worry about hooking it!