Hiking South Kinsman next week. Anyone have an update on current trail conditions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sematary

Reaction score
As the title says- my daughter and I are going to hike South Kinsman next weekend (hoping to try out my new Black Diamond crampons - :) ) I see on the snow map that there is a fair amount of snow in the mountains already but don't know how accurate that is or if it's icy up there already. Any info would be appreciated.

I am just west of the Kinsmans today and there has been significant snow melt. I did Whiteface & Passaconaway on Wednesday and there was T-2" with very occasional drifts 6-8". It is hard to predict conditions 7 days away, however. I would check the trail conditions / aggregator sites as the week progresses.

http://trailsnh.com/peaks/nh/4000/22-South-Kinsman-4358--28-North-Kinsman-4293

Tim

I just posted trips I did on Thanksgiving and day before. Very spotty, as "bikehikesfish" just noted. Osceolas has snow in the parking lot, and then we drove up the Kanc to Moat and saw no snow whatsoever!

I did both days in regular old leather boots and we used microspikes both days. That being said, I got to the summit of Moriah without them, and only used them on the way down.

It's tough this time of year. Not quite summer conditions, not quite winter.

Brian

yep change day to day.next week can be a whole new ball game .... bring everything for winter with you. Be prepared as you probably run into everything thru out the day.