Moriah via Stoney Brook 11-24-16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanksgiving Day 11-24-16

Trail Conditions: Please enter, specific words to describe the current trail conditions. Sample words would include: Dry, Muddy, Icy, Hard Packed Snow, Deep Powder, Difficult Water Crossings, Downed Trees

Having been able to start with microspikes the day before on the Osceolas, it was surprising that we encountered no snow whatsoever for quite a ways up the trail. Maybe two miles in on bare trail until we could put on microspikes. We actually didn't put them on until we were off the summit and turning around. Bare trail in many spots, icy in others, hint of snow on patches.

Special Equipment Required: We got to the summit without microspikes, but then used them until we ran out of snow on the way down. Not an easy trail at the moment, it being neither fish (clear trail) nor fowl (snowy). Wouldn't bring a beginner up it at the moment until either things melt off or we get more snow.

Comments: Optional - Ran into a young couple feeding Gray Jays and explained to them why that might not be a good idea. Never really know if it does any good or not, but I hope I can plant the seed of some back country ethics. Also spotted the wrapped of a Hershey's Kiss on the way up, but am hoping it just dropped out of someone's pocket.

Hiked with my friend Joseph G.

Brian

Last edited: