Winter parking at Trailheads Alert

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
Just thought, I'd pass this along. I work for the NH DOT and I just saw a memo in regards to parking on a roadway during snow maintenance times. You can be and probably will be towed. The recent influx of hiking has led to increased parking along roadway's and it really makes the plow guy's job tough. I know some trailheads are tough, like Pine Bend Brook trail as there is no Proper lot. Just want to give people fair warning, if your on or near the road, you might not come out to a ride home.:eek:

Good to know - are there any guidelines (official or otherwise) to abide by?

Great reminder as its usually a surprise to some folks.

Unless things have changed from past years, anyone parking in the road or on the paved shoulders during the storm is almost guaranteed to be towed. If its a long storm, the crews usually take a break at the end of the storm and then go out the day after the storm and wing back the bankings, cars parked on the pavement (or paved shoulders) are still subject to towing during this period. Once the clean up is done, generally folks parked along the road on the shoulder outside of the travel lanes are at far less risk of being towed. This usually works until the next weather event. Realistically barring a significant thaw, once the snow banks are established there really isn't an option of parking off the paved section of the road at many trailheads. The folks potentially impacted are those who go overnight or multiday trips, the road may be fine when you park but if a storm comes in or is even predicted, the state may tow preemptively. Individual plow drivers seem to have different styles, many if given time do a nice job opening up the parking near trailheads but if there is a car the way they cant do much.

Pine Bend Brook trail has a proper lot, its just 1/2 mile down the road at Sabbaday Brook trail. I always have been curious why a connector trail in the woods paralleling the road hasn't been put in place to cure this issue.

Good to know - are there any guidelines (official or otherwise) to abide by?

NH State law ( RSA 262.32 ) allows for the towing of any vehicle that is " Obstructing snow removal or highway maintenance operations".

Pine Bend Brook trail has a proper lot, its just 1/2 mile down the road at Sabbaday Brook trail. I always have been curious why a connector trail in the woods paralleling the road hasn't been put in place to cure this issue.

Is that only 1/2 mile? I walked from Pine Bend trailhead to Downes Brook trailhead in the dark and pouring rain a few Octobers ago and Sabbaday lot seemed like it was about a thousand miles away. That would be a good idea having a connecting trail. I'm not a big fan of road walks at this time of year where black ice can make things super interesting for motorists who aren't paying attention.

Checking the map, it's just over mile in straight-line distance from Pine Bend to Sabbaday Brook.

Nor sure if it was coincidence or part of this new directive but I went up Zealand Rd to Sugarloaf Saturday (parked at the snowmobile lot - gate was closed). It was snowing with a skim coat on the road. Three cars parked in the breakdown lane near road entrance and they all had tickets when I came out. Snow never accumulated. So enforcement may not be limited to towing.