weather in the Whites this week

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KPMMBM

Reaction score
we're getting a good soaking of rain here in Portland ME, whats happening in the mountains?

It was all rain in Gorham NH, its still clearing but it looks like the snow line has crept back up the slopes considerably. I expect the ski areas lost whatever base they were trying to build. The front passed a few hours ago so I expect in few hours I can estimate the snow line. The obs weather deck has snow on the webcam.

Aroostook County got 12 inches of snow and expect more today

It was all rain in Gorham NH, its still clearing but it looks like the snow line has crept back up the slopes considerably. I expect the ski areas lost whatever base they were trying to build. The front passed a few hours ago so I expect in few hours I can estimate the snow line. The obs weather deck has snow on the webcam.

Aroostook County got 12 inches of snow and expect more today

Any intel on the status of roads? Don't see any new comments in the "road thread" about status. Would seem with recent weather there would be closures by now. Not much info in the Trip Reports on NETC for the areas I'm looking at. Weather at the higher elevations seems to have changed big time past few days. Was considering Pine Link Trail from Dolly Copp Rd this SAT (weather permitting). Kept bumping it on my "list" this year (never done this trail) and it appears I may have waited too long for this year.

I think there is not enough snow to warrant the closure of the roads but I'm not sure what the MO is for this.

I think there is not enough snow to warrant the closure of the roads but I'm not sure what the MO is for this.

Is it just a snowfall issue? I thought if they got too icy or muddy they would close too. Some of the trip reports that actually had road info mentioned them being slick. Figured we were getting close to closures.

Yeah. I don't really know. I don't pay that much attention to it but I seem to remember last years the roads were opened longer because we lacked the snow.

Is it just a snowfall issue? I thought if they got too icy or muddy they would close too. Some of the trip reports that actually had road info mentioned them being slick. Figured we were getting close to closures.

The local agencies try to keep the roads open during hunting season. Once there is significant snow or ice event, they lock the gate and it stay locked even if there is a thaw. Best idea for Pinkham B road (AKA Dolly Copp road) is call the state DOT office for the northern district.

Someone made a timely post in the road thread that several roads have been closed on WMNF site. Zealand, Bear and some others. So I guess the process is starting.

The local agencies try to keep the roads open during hunting season. Once there is significant snow or ice event, they lock the gate and it stay locked even if there is a thaw. Best idea for Pinkham B road (AKA Dolly Copp road) is call the state DOT office for the northern district.

I went across Pinkham B last Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving and a good part of the north end of the road was covered with a layer of compacted snow/ice. I did not slide, but kept to 10 mph or less in a 2wd. I haven't gone across since. With rain, it may be better, but freezing nights will keep it icy I imagine.

I went up Zealand rd day before Thanksgiving... all Ice.. cars couldn't get up the first mile or so.. I did being I drive a big truck... with locking rear axle and 4x4...probably melted by now.. but more to come...

I was on the Willey Range today. The trails are WET, running water, slush and wet snow (corn/mashed potatoes). 0-1" below 2500' and 2-4 above. On the ridge top, 4-6" or so.

Tim

Snow levels up high have accumulated and traction and snowshoes are the order of business...we may get an nice "winter hiking" season this year...