Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hotel on Mt Washington??!!

Hotel on Mt Washington??!!

Am I the only one who feels like they're living in an alternate reality lately??

SARGENT’S PURCHASE -- The Cog Railway has announced plans to build a hotel and restaurant about a mile below the Mount Washington Summit in time for its 150th anniversary. - See more at: http://www.unionleader.com/business/....9Ifw5X1T.dpuf

*facepalm*

I...just.

99 feet wide. I presume only way in and out will be the Cog, and all the construction comings and goings confined to the rail property. Just. Wow.

any guess what elevation that would be - ? Would it be above Jacob's Ladder?
    Yay for winter!!!!!

The article says at the skyline switch (44°16'34"N 71°18'41"W - http://wikimapia.org/4305903/Skyline-Switch, about where Westside crosses the tracks), which per The Cog's web site is 2/3 of the way up. This image appears to be of the skyline switch - where trains can pass each other.

http://www.railpictures.net/

https://www.google.com/maps/place/44...!4d-71.3113889

Tim
    Last edited by bikehikeskifish; 12-01-2016 at 07:00 PM.
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

I'll comment keeping the memory of Sylvestor Marsh alive. " You want to build it where? Go ahead, you have permission to build your Hotel on the Moon "

North Conway, NH Avatar: Skiing on Ethan Pond Trail
    I'm guessing this will be quite the legal battle. Not sure the original charter for the railroad right-of-way included it's use for a hotel.
    Trail Adopter: Attitash Trail (Table Mt. to Big Attitash)
    I bushwack for a living and hike for fun.

sounds like the mooning phenomenon will be coming back
    Keith
    NE 4k 67 x 2

Presby and partner has lot of cash and with it comes political pull in the area. The base station road was closed to year round use for years due to its construction (seasonal road) until they pulled some strings.
    The cog property is under Coos county control and since the Balsams project, the Coos County planning board had to put in some pretty serious planning and zoning laws. Previously large developments were not dealt with well. An example was the Great Glen building which burned to the ground and was built with little county oversite. Luckily no one died but it was well known that there were a lot of corners cut. Now that rules are in place the county has to follow them. Given the inaccessibility of the proposed facility, life safety codes are going to be a major issue. AMC gets away with a lot as they were there prior to regulations so are grandfathered but any new public accommodation is going to have to be accessible to fire and ambulance. I expect there would be numerous variances required. I also expect that since the proposed facility is inside the WMNF declaration boundary the FS gets to comment on the development. If the development is above treeline there is going to be a significant push back from the public and many national organizations due to the visual impact as the above treeline section of the presidential ridge is generally regarded as a nationally significant area. The upcoming Great Glen project which is also on private land was actually sanctioned as part of deal in the late eighties where the auto road sold a large block of land at the base of Mt Washington to the WMNF with the agreement that the remaining inholding could be developed in the future. I do not believe the Cog has such an agreement in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkyfeet View Post
    Am I the only one who feels like they're living in an alternate reality lately??

SARGENT’S PURCHASE -- The Cog Railway has announced plans to build a hotel and restaurant about a mile below the Mount Washington Summit in time for its 150th anniversary. - See more at: http://www.unionleader.com/business/....9Ifw5X1T.dpuf
    Uhhhhhhhhh.........
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

"If you build it, they will come"

Unfortunately the country seems to be headed in this direction. All development is good development. The resource, in this case the mountain, is there to be used, or in my language, exploited. Preservation, appreciation, low impact uses, even the concept of eco-tourism is being eclipsed by $$$$ signs.
    "I am a pilgrim and a stranger"

Quote Originally Posted by KPMMBM View Post
    sounds like the mooning phenomenon will be coming back
    The good old days. I remember.
    "The laborers day ends with the going down of the sun, and he is then free to
    devote himself to his chosen pursuit, independent of his labor and his
    employer". Henry David Thoreau

Presby said the hotel would include about 35 “well-appointed” rooms and a full-service restaurant that would cater to hikers and tourists alike.

I've no doubt about the second group but I highly doubt it will cater to the first group.

The only places to stay overnight on Mount Washington are the Mount Washington Observatory, which rents space in the visitor center, and the Appalachian Mountain Club’s Lake of the Clouds Hut. Presby said both of those options are spartan in their amenities.

Thank You for proving my point Mr. Presby.
    "The laborers day ends with the going down of the sun, and he is then free to
    devote himself to his chosen pursuit, independent of his labor and his
    employer". Henry David Thoreau

I think i just threw up in my mouth a little. That will be a nauseating eye sore if that should happen. The stretch between Mt Clay and the edge of the Great Gulf is one of my favorite spots in the Whites. I can't imagine looking out at some ridiculous luxury hut right smack in the middle of the lawn. Booo.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 44/48; NY 46: 3/46