Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hotel on Mt Washington??!!

As Barnum stated quite some time ago..." Mount Washington the second greatest show on Earth"!
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Who cares... I don't...The mountain always had these hotels on it one way or the other.... and most won't even see it. And it would be done in style I'm sure... It's ok if the AMC has huts and centers that scour the lands..? Look what AMC did to Crawford notch.. like a mall there... parking nightmares and too many folks on the trails that we enjoyed so much with so many quiet hikes before they built that monster.
    Hate change? well get used to it.. it aint going back to 1950... Look in Whitefield the huge complex they are building for old folks.. or the Meadows of Littleton... just the beginning.
    Last edited by CaptCaper; 12-02-2016 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chachie View Post
    Between the AMC, the State of New Hampshire and private parties (the Cog) Mt. Washington has been converted from NE's highest peak to a money making machine.
    It's been a money making machine for nearly 200 years, starting with the construction of the Crawford Path in 1819 to lead paying guests to the summit from the Crawford House. Since then there have been more paths built, a road and a RR, multiple hotels, visitors center, the observatory, and bike/run/auto races. I'm pretty sure there is a helipad (or at least a place designated for choppers land) for construction and emergency. This isn't some pristine location that is just recently being developed. The history of the mountain is pretty much the history of mountain tourism (including hiking) in the northeast.[/QUOTE]
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

We're not too far along that road to have to worry about precedent yet. The mountain was totally free in all aspects for 480 million years or so prior to that. ��
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

The press and possibly readers of the forum may seem to be confused that this is expansion of the summit development. It isn't, the proposed hotel is 1 mile down off the summit so it would be wholly new development. I expect that the purpose is two fold; it gets the project out of the control of the Mt Washington commission and give guests a more remote feeling. I also gets them away from the existing trail network. I rarely if ever actually hike over the summit. When I do traverses I generally take the West Side trail which is located outside of the views of the development of the summit. I expect the Cogs proposed development would be front and center along this trail. The developer is also indicating it will be designed like the grand old hotels of the past which probably indicates that it is to be designed to stand out from the landscape rather than blend in.

And they are all closed, shuttered up and burnt to the ground. None of them were that profitable to keep going. What is different now?

Presby et.al. might do well to wait until the Great Glen Hotel proves either its worth or its folly.

As for construction projects on Mt Washington, someone needs to find a contractor who has actually made a profit in any project on MW, even with a roadway open 6 months of the year. ROFL, if Presby is expecting to get materials to the summit on the MWAR and then get them down to Skyline-- he's delusional.

Personally, I think some folks have rocks in their heads if they think this is a marketable " concept".

Oh its marketable, probably not profitable

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    And they are all closed, shuttered up and burnt to the ground. None of them were that profitable to keep going. What is different now?
    Probably nothing, I would expect they would build it, then the costs would out run the revenues and expectations and it would be shut down within a few years, leaving another scar on the land. Maybe a nice wind shelter from the old foundation like is already on several peaks like Garfield & Mooselauke. Maybe they would even sell it to AMC for yet another hut.

FWIW, I would rather have huts then sprawling tent cities with no septic like they have at Marcy Dam in NY.

Nothing like climbing to the top of what could be a place of monumental solitude
    I can't picture Mt Washington being that even without the cog rail, road or structures on top. My guess is it would be Monadnock II (or at least Adams II) I suspect only quotas and permits would reduce the crowd scene. That is not to say I am a favor of adding to the development up there, I would vote for shutting down the cog altogether if it were up to me, or at least power the train engines with something a little more clean air friendly. I can't think of any reason the trains need to blow their whistles/horns.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbren View Post
    Probably nothing, I would expect they would build it, then the costs would out run the revenues and expectations and it would be shut down within a few years, leaving another scar on the land. Maybe a nice wind shelter from the old foundation like is already on several peaks like Garfield & Mooselauke. Maybe they would even sell it to AMC for yet another hut.

FWIW, I would rather have huts then sprawling tent cities with no septic like they have at Marcy Dam in NY.

I can't picture Mt Washington being that even without the cog rail, road or structures on top. My guess is it would be Monadnock II (or at least Adams II) I suspect only quotas and permits would reduce the crowd scene. That is not to say I am a favor of adding to the development up there, I would vote for shutting down the cog altogether if it were up to me, or at least power the train engines with something a little more clean air friendly. I can't think of any reason the trains need to blow their whistles/horns.

Typical selfish Ma guy.. had beefs with selfish folks about boat ramps on the Cape when I lived there.. Can't share the resources..wan't everthing for their own purpose.. Cog was there before you were... and it will be there after you pass and your children pass. If you want solitude and wilderness there are many other mountains here in NH and other states.... I find them all the time .more enjoyable the Mt.W as well. better views then Mt. W....and also enjoy the quiet...no lease on the dog or fighting for trail space... Save Mt. W and the 48 for the Rat Racer's...

I was under the impression that the grand hotels were destinations for railroad passengers. When automobiles became popular and roads improved, the grand hotels lost their advantage.

https://sites.google.com/site/newham...-new-hampshire
    Last edited by jfb; 12-04-2016 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCaper View Post
    Typical selfish Ma guy.. had beefs with selfish folks about boat ramps on the Cape when I lived there.. Can't share the resources..wan't everthing for their own purpose.. Cog was there before you were... and it will be there after you pass and your children pass. If you want solitude and wilderness there are many other mountains here in NH and other states.... I find them all the time .more enjoyable the Mt.W as well. better views then Mt. W....and also enjoy the quiet...no lease on the dog or fighting for trail space... Save Mt. W and the 48 for the Rat Racer's...
    Would it help if I was to say I was born & raised in MI lived most of my adult life in Vermont ? I felt the same way about the cog regardless of what state I live in. My guess is you have beefs with allot of folks. I had no idea the cog was there before me, I thought it just came into existence when I started hiking in the whites. There are other mountains in NH other then Washington ? Wow, you have given me allot to think about.

Oh its marketable, probably not profitable
    The former is the point, the key to it. Profitability is a quaint old superstitious concept.

I know a person involved in building McMansions up into hillsides adjoining state (usually) park lands. Despite all the public funding for the access roads and such, he still loses money (his company does, he pockets a fortune from the upfront money) and he claims an inordinately large number of these boxes never get lived in by the original investor but are eventually sold down the line for peanuts.
    Last edited by Will; 12-03-2016 at 07:04 PM.

What can I tell you more? You want to be miserable looking at Mt.W and the Cog..good for you.. I love the Cog.. been on it more then most in the state..Saved my ass once.. Well... odd that most folks who complain come from out of state or town ... all my new Ma neighbors come here and start in right away complaining about things..
    No wonder some Cogger's complain about hikers... drive up in cars that pollute our mountain air ,bring their own food and drink and start in about the Cog..I'm sure it's not the only thing they complain about.. ATV's Snow machines... on and on ..

I think back to my introductions to all the various locals in the Whites, and how I came to know them with all the things that were there. I think nothing of Mt. Cannon ski resort, or Wildcat, but if they weren't there and someone wanted to build them, oh my gosh, that would be so unthinkable! How dare they put those scars upon the land?

I have learned this through my years: all change is bad.

Then the next generation comes along and thinks nothing of it.

I'm not saying I approve of the little hotel, but life will go on, and the next generation of hikers will think nothing of it, just as I think nothing of Lakes of the Clouds being there.

Brian