Waumbek/Cabot traverse this weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinCanFury

Reaction score
Some friends are looking to do the traverse over Waumbek and Cabot this weekend, spending the night at the Cabot Cabin. We're not sure what the conditions are like, and I'm a bit wary of this attempt given the hours of light in the day and the 15mi trek for a first day to the cabin from Starr King they are looking to do. I was wondering if anyone has been in the area in the last few days and has an idea of how things look? Also, if anyone else has attempted this traverse in winter conditions and how the section between Cabot Cabin and the Starr King Rd parking area is like around this time of year?

thanks!

Heads up, unless the trail has been reblazed between Waumbek and Cabot, its easy to get lost with what I expect will be several inches of snow on the ground. In some spots the trail runs through white birch glades, the trail bed isn't well established and the blazes have peeled off the trees.

Plan on encountering fresh snow. I've read TR's recently and snowshoes were being used, up on the ridge to Waumbek. I've never gone past Waumbek myself, so I cannot speak to that area. You can check daily on netrailconditions.com to get updated reports.

The Weeks and Terrace sections of the trail are neither heavily frequented nor heavily maintained. You should expect navigational challenges, full trail breaking, and profuse blowdowns, as well as generally rough terrain. If you're hikers of average stamina, it would definitely be prudent to plan for a pace of <1mph on that stretch with an overnight pack load, as well as to ensure that you'll be navigating it in daylight.

Some math: From Jefferson Village to Cabot Cabin is over 14 miles, with 6500'+ of elevation gain. To time the trip so that you're on Weeks and Terrace in daylight, you'll want to get started at around 4am, and conservatively, expect to reach Bunnell Notch shortly after dark, and the cabin 1-2 hours thereafter on a much better stretch of trail.

Alex

Several winters ago myself and two others completed a traverse of the entire range, from Star King to South Pond. 1st night was atop Cabot, the 2nd night was just below The Horn. Great trip, lots of map and compass, few blazes. The three of us easily completed the section you referenced on the 1st day. Have a great trip, enjoy the solitude.

Several of us did a trip from Jefferson to the Bunnell Notch trailhead during the winter. Started at 7 AM, got to the car at around 1 AM the next morning. We lost the trail from the top of South Weeks all the way to North Weeks and then did the fall line off of North Weeks and the rest of the way via York Pond trail with headlamps. Is all depends on the conditions.

Not to cause thread drift but are there any views on the Terrace peaks or Weeks peaks? Curious what the draw is of doing that stretch, other than I assume a lack of people. Looks like a PUD machine like the GRT or the Cannonballs. I had contemplated hitting this area as an overnight trip this past Summer but never got around to it. I recall the woods on the North side of Cabot being very unique and interesting, with different vegetation than you see in the rest of the Whites. Was curious if the rest of the ridge was similar. (Sorry about that TinCanFury - end drift).

Views have some draw, but the woods themselves are beautiful. For me, exploring new areas is very rewarding. From what I can tell, any views in this stretch would be limited.

The views are definitely obscured. Possibly some on South Terrace with some coming down off Middle Weeks. When we blazed it years ago, North Terrace has large helispot chainsawed across its summit with great views but the last time I visited it was wall of regenerated spruce and fir. The woods are quite open between Waumbek and South Weeks. The KRT was intended to be a major new destination route in the whites when it was cut but due to a lack of reliable water sources and minimal views it has remained a lightly used route. I was advocating a connector trail to Pond of Safety from the ridge line when the Randolph Town Forest owned it as it would open up a nice connection to the RMC trail network and a possible loop using Bog Dam Road and a snowmachine trail but the locals didn't want anymore traffic on their trails. Once the WMNF bought it I expect it will remain as dispersed recreation zone ( no new trails).

I hiked from York Pond Trail to Jefferson this summer, and found it easy going, albeit without views on the Weeks. As others said, it may be problematic with snow. And I personally would not do 6000+ feet elevation gain and 14+ miles in summer, let alone winter. Of course, your group may be comfortable with that. Alexmtn's math is for real.

It may be too early in the winter to do this traverse. There is snow but it hasn't consolidated, I expect a bit more snowpack with a solid crust would really speed things up.

Curious what the draw is of doing that stretch, other than I assume a lack of people.
Only been between North and South Weeks, but that area is a gorgeous bit of woods, trail's really very nicely laid out, gentle grades by NH standards and doesn't get the heavy usage and resulting erosion.

And of course lack of people is also a big plus.

Someday I want to do the entire Kilkenny Ridge trail in a day, but both the logistics and the fitness requirements are pretty intimidating. Just barely doable.

Not to cause thread drift but are there any views on the Terrace peaks or Weeks peaks? Curious what the draw is of doing that stretch, other than I assume a lack of people. Looks like a PUD machine like the GRT or the Cannonballs.

Three categories of draw come to mind for things like the Weeks, Terrace.

1. Many intermediate and advanced hikers find ridge traverses to be fun and exciting.

2. Others enjoy exploring/navigating/taking in the areas less traveled.

3. One person's PUD is another's NE100/NH100 checkmark (E.Terrace, and all three Weeks). And in the same vein, how can you refer to the scenic Cannonballs (NE is a NE100), or the dramatic E. Garfield Ridge (actually, a great view) and stalwart W. Garfield Ridge, both NH100's, as mere PUDS? :)

Alex<\DRIFT>

. . . and more to the OP's point: This weekend's weather is forecast to be on the brisk side -- windy, with daily high temps barely above zero.

6 to 8 inches of snow expected overnight tonight. I expect the trees will be loaded with snow, very pretty but very wet walking when the wind inevitably dumps a load down ones collar ;)