Lost hikers in High Peaks of NY - found alive

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more.

I've said it many times on this forum, do yourself a favor and acquire map and compass skills. This couple ended up on the wrong side of the mountain, and it very nearly cost them their lives. In this case, even if they couldn't find the trail down, with M&C skills they would have been heading in the right direction, down the correct side of the mountain. SAR would likely have found them a day earlier. Going up is easy - there's rarely more than one direction up. But getting down - there are 364 wrong directions and only 1 right direction, and you're unlikely to pick the correct one in zero visibility on a treeless summit.

This was a close one. Flip of the coin, really.

I'm not sure what the last 5 directions are... :rolleyes:

Hahahahahaha! I'm an idiot. Not the first time in my exuberance I've confused the number of days in a year with the number of degrees in a circle...

Am I allowed to make a "The larger point still stands" statement now, after that mea culpa?? :)

Good thing the rescue happened when it did. This cold snap may have yielded a far more tragic result

Indeed. Kids were lucky to be out of there; it was way below zero and windy last night.

They made two basic mistakes, that we've talked about for years on various forums: 1. Not checking the bearing back to the trail, when headed up above tree line; 2. Not paying attention to the incoming weather until it hit them. They got lucky, but this incident shows just how dangerous those simple basic mistakes can be.

Personally, I liked the last paragraph in this Daily Gazette article:

“I also learned how valuable it is to bring the necessary gear,” she said. “I mean, we were geared for the hike, but we weren’t geared for the unexpected.”

I guess they really learned their lesson.