Thread: Lost hikers in High Peaks of NY - found alive

Lost hikers in High Peaks of NY - found alive

No reports on how they were equipped or their experience, hopefully they will be found safe,

http://www.wcax.com/story/34040784/s...or-lost-hikers

No sooner do I post then an updated occurs, they have been found alive, but severely hypothermic

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise...form=hootsuite

Great effort by the Ranger Search & Rescue teams

Both now described to be in good condition. Outstanding work by all rescue agencies involved.
    Sure. Why not.

One more.

I've said it many times on this forum, do yourself a favor and acquire map and compass skills. This couple ended up on the wrong side of the mountain, and it very nearly cost them their lives. In this case, even if they couldn't find the trail down, with M&C skills they would have been heading in the right direction, down the correct side of the mountain. SAR would likely have found them a day earlier. Going up is easy - there's rarely more than one direction up. But getting down - there are 364 wrong directions and only 1 right direction, and you're unlikely to pick the correct one in zero visibility on a treeless summit.

This was a close one. Flip of the coin, really.
    Sure. Why not.

Amazing video of the helicopter rescue. Conditions seem to be pretty sketchy for flying. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDm7adqq3R0

Two lucky hikers

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Dad View Post
    Amazing video of the helicopter rescue. Conditions seem to be pretty sketchy for flying. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDm7adqq3R0

Two lucky hikers
    That is impressive. Kudos to all the rescuers involved.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Tillson, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerbrian View Post
    One moreBut getting down - there are 364 wrong directions and only 1 right direction, and you're unlikely to pick the correct one in zero visibility on a treeless summit.
    I'm not sure what the last 5 directions are...
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO
    Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rankin View Post
    I'm not sure what the last 5 directions are...
    Hahahahahaha! I'm an idiot. Not the first time in my exuberance I've confused the number of days in a year with the number of degrees in a circle...

Am I allowed to make a "The larger point still stands" statement now, after that mea culpa?? :-)
    Sure. Why not.

Good thing the rescue happened when it did. This cold snap may have yielded a far more tragic result

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Good thing the rescue happened when it did. This cold snap may have yielded a far more tragic result
    Indeed. Kids were lucky to be out of there; it was way below zero and windy last night.

They made two basic mistakes, that we've talked about for years on various forums: 1. Not checking the bearing back to the trail, when headed up above tree line; 2. Not paying attention to the incoming weather until it hit them. They got lucky, but this incident shows just how dangerous those simple basic mistakes can be.

J&J

This is why, even on day hikes, I pack a sleeping bag and sleeping pad. I like my fingers and toes just as they are. Kids are very lucky.

Personally, I liked the last paragraph in this Daily Gazette article:

“I also learned how valuable it is to bring the necessary gear,” she said. “I mean, we were geared for the hike, but we weren’t geared for the unexpected.”

I guess they really learned their lesson.