Mountain lions and car insurance

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jniehof

Reaction score
I think the mountain lion thread is pretty buried now, so forgive me for starting a new one to link this article: Want to Save Money on Car Insurance? Buy a Mountain Lion.

For those who don't want to jump into the theatre of the absurd with no introduction, the argument is that deer strikes cause enough car insurance claims that the insurance companies should back an effective way to control the deer population: mountain lion reintroduction.

... For those who don't want to jump into the theatre of the absurd with no introduction, the argument is that deer strikes cause enough car insurance claims that the insurance companies should back an effective way to control the deer population: mountain lion reintroduction.
But in the same manner it could reduce the population of customers.

They sure wouldn't be an asset in the North Country of NH, Deer are pretty slim and a bad winter can really knock the population down. The predation is needed down in the more densely populated areas of southern NH and southern Maine, the deer are major pests in the towns that restrict hunting and have stripped the understory.

The most feasible way to thin the herd in populous areas is by bow hunters perched in tree stands. This, too, is objectionable to some but ... think venison ... free range, lean, and properly harvested, dressed and prepared, delicious and nutritious.

As someone who has seen two Lion's, one up close. I do not endorse the reintroduction plan. They are NOT fun to encounter.:eek:

Coyotes should be enough to control any deer over poulation, I would think. Predators are normally pretty quick to fill a void...

Hmmm. Here in the Boston area's Blue Hills Reservation, the deer population is said to have gotten out of hand and is causing some environmental damage. Authorities have even organized some hunts to cull the herd. I wonder where the coyotes are in all this. Maybe they prefer smaller pray: rodents, cats, small dogs.

There are certainly to many in the Adirondacks too :mad: I'm okay with Coyotes as they don't consider my family as deer alternatives.