Thread: Mountain lions and car insurance

Mountain lions and car insurance

I think the mountain lion thread is pretty buried now, so forgive me for starting a new one to link this article: Want to Save Money on Car Insurance? Buy a Mountain Lion.

For those who don't want to jump into the theatre of the absurd with no introduction, the argument is that deer strikes cause enough car insurance claims that the insurance companies should back an effective way to control the deer population: mountain lion reintroduction.

Coyotes should be enough to control any deer over poulation, I would think. Predators are normally pretty quick to fill a void...

Quote Originally Posted by jniehof View Post
    ... For those who don't want to jump into the theatre of the absurd with no introduction, the argument is that deer strikes cause enough car insurance claims that the insurance companies should back an effective way to control the deer population: mountain lion reintroduction.
    But in the same manner it could reduce the population of customers.

They sure wouldn't be an asset in the North Country of NH, Deer are pretty slim and a bad winter can really knock the population down. The predation is needed down in the more densely populated areas of southern NH and southern Maine, the deer are major pests in the towns that restrict hunting and have stripped the understory.

Tillson, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    There are obviously not enough predators in the Catskills to 'take care of' the deer!
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO
    Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

The most feasible way to thin the herd in populous areas is by bow hunters perched in tree stands. This, too, is objectionable to some but ... think venison ... free range, lean, and properly harvested, dressed and prepared, delicious and nutritious.

As someone who has seen two Lion's, one up close. I do not endorse the reintroduction plan. They are NOT fun to encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Coyotes should be enough to control any deer over poulation, I would think. Predators are normally pretty quick to fill a void...
    Hmmm. Here in the Boston area's Blue Hills Reservation, the deer population is said to have gotten out of hand and is causing some environmental damage. Authorities have even organized some hunts to cull the herd. I wonder where the coyotes are in all this. Maybe they prefer smaller pray: rodents, cats, small dogs.
    Bob Kittredge - still truckin'

Coyotes will kill and eat deer. They tend to hang around deer yards in the Winter and prey on the sick and weak.

Maybe there is no need to re-introduce? DNA from MA.

http://www.telegram.com/news/2016112...in-lion-attack

There are certainly to many in the Adirondacks too I'm okay with Coyotes as they don't consider my family as deer alternatives.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.