Personal experiences with emergency locator devices

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which device have you personally owned?

• PLB of any kind

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • SPOT 1

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • SPOT 2

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • SPOT Gen3

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • DeLorme InReach SE

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • DeLorme InReach Explorer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • EPIRB used on land

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
I like the way Spot's emails give recipients option to click on link which takes the recipient to map web page showing your location. Inreach also does this. Peter clicked on the link and one is take immediately to internet map page showing location with options for aerial, topo, or street map.

If anyone is curious as to Spot shareable page you can take a look at my today's hike - here is a link: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0xAOAb3WafWNU2eUJUHIBM8qiclX5S5CV . Spot keeps data on shared pages for 7 days, so it will go away, however I can still download my data points for a month. My complaint about shared page address is that it is too long for text messages (in addition to a message), so I had to shorten it using goo.gl. When looking at the Web page you can run the mouse over "Map" button and check off "Terrain" checkbox.

The data has a 50 minute gap in transmission and I took a detour during that time using a snowmobile trail. Also my Custom & Check-In messages that tried sending from parking area did not go through. I compared the track with my gps and the points that went through were within 50 ft of my Garmin eTrex 30.

Disappointing results from yesterday's field trials on Inreach. I snowshoed Tecumseh and tested out Inreach in mild winter conditions. I attempted to send pre-set message from the summit. The directional keypad proved to be even more difficult to use necessitating removing my light-weight gloves to operate. Even then I found it difficult to control actions. The pre-set message was very difficult to select required many frustrating attempts taking me to actions I did not want. It took a long time to get the message out. I was hiking solo. I'd hate to be keeping a group waiting. Pressure to get it done would make mistakes even more likely. Conditions were very mild. I would hate to be trying to do this in very cold or windy conditions. It was really hard to select contacts. I sent one message to Paradox by accident.

Disappointing results from yesterday's field trials on Inreach. I snowshoed Tecumseh and tested out Inreach in mild winter conditions. The directional keypad proved to be even more difficult to use necessitating removing my light-weight gloves to operate.
FYI , with the SPOT mounted on my shoulder strap in the winter I am able to send signals by pressing the buttons with the pointy end of the grip on my hiking stick.

It took a long time to get the message out..

Really? I almost always get a successful transmission in under a minute even in my pants pocket. I take it out, hit the send feature and put it back in my pocket. I did Ammonosuc Ravine trail yesterday and had no issues even down low in the ravine with messages or tracking. Every now and then I get a message that takes several minutes but that is rare. I've never had a message fail.

I do agree the arrow pad is hard to use in gloves/mittens. I use a convertible glove/mitten with liner gloves so all I have to do is flip up the mitten part and I have good use of fingers. No different than my GPS unit. Same key pad really. Typing out actual messages is a pain on it. Like texting on older cell phones. I set up the three preset messages to communicate the basics when I hike and generally that is all I use. That in conjunction with the tracking feature gives my wife more than enough info to know I'm doing OK.

.. I attempted to send pre-set message from the summit. The directional keypad proved to be even more difficult to use .... It was really hard to select contacts. I sent one message to Paradox by accident.

• Preset Messages contain text and the intended contacts.
  • Quick Messages contain text only.

1. Go directly to Preset Messages by pressing and holding the "Quit/Preset Messages Shortcut" button ("X").
  2. Scroll down to the desired Preset Message then press the "Power/Enter" button (checkmark).
  3. Done.

product-inreach-2.png

https://youtu.be/vpaVpqtWjYo?t=6m59s

Last edited:
I like my InReach SE. I like being able to two-way communicate out where there's absolutely no cell service.
I've found the following:
-It takes a while for the first message to send. Like it almost needs to "warm up" i.e. establish the satellite connection, so the first message seems to take a long time to go through. Subsequent messages after that seem to go much more quickly though. Also, I've noticed shorter messages send quicker. Sometimes I just send acronyms to my wife to check in with her because it's quicker to type and sends quicker as well.
-It would not send one under thick tree cover. So if you're in dense bushwhack territory, you better find some type of opening otherwise I think you'll be out of luck. That was my experience anyways.

Question: Do Satellite phones work when it's snowing or extreme fog and cloud cover? Haven't tried that yet.

• Preset Messages contain text and the intended contacts.
  • Quick Messages contain text only.

1. Go directly to Preset Messages by pressing and holding the "Quit/Preset Messages Shortcut" button ("X").
  2. Scroll down to the desired Preset Message then press the "Power/Enter" button (checkmark).
  3. Done.

product-inreach-2.png

https://youtu.be/vpaVpqtWjYo?t=6m59s

Hey Trail Boss ... Thanks for the tip! That really is easy. That solves one problem. I also found I needed to add some contacts to the pre-set message set-up. I just now tested it out on the back deck and the message is transmitted and received in seconds. I heard the little tweet right away and come back in house to hear test message signal on my Android phone.

For whatever it is worth, Garmin has just announced a new version of inReach that externally looks like a combination of GPSMAPS 64 and inReach.

For whatever it is worth, Garmin has just announced a new version of inReach that externally looks like a combination of GPSMAPS 64 and inReach.

So my prediction came true already. Too bad I just purchased my Inreach. Maybe that explains the deep discount I got. Oh well. I'll probably fork out the money for the new Garmin as it really would be something to only carry one device. The directional keypad on the new unit looks like the Garmin keypad so looks like it solves my major criticism of the Inreach.

I think its really bad to combine a GPS with a beacon...a GPS is for convenience and a beacon is for an emergency. If they both use the same battery, then its truly a bad implementation of technology. You could easily leave the GPS on and drain the battery. And then your safety may be compromised by some obscure menu setting.

I certainly hope this device has some fixed function to turn the GPS off automatically long before the batteries become weak. Better yet... have separate batteries.

I think its really bad to combine a GPS with a beacon...a GPS is for convenience and a beacon is for an emergency. If they both use the same battery, then its truly a bad implementation of technology. You could easily leave the GPS on and drain the battery. And then your safety may be compromised by some obscure menu setting.

I certainly hope this device has some fixed function to turn the GPS off automatically long before the batteries become weak. Better yet... have separate batteries.

Personally, I wouldn't mind carrying one device instead of two, however, I seriously doubt I would want to rely on a non-replaceable battery. I always carry more than one set of spares for my gps and and at least one extra set for Spot (it uses AAAs, so I could even pull them out of my headlamp if necessary, as I usually also have a 1-oz micro headlamp for backup.)

Personally, I wouldn't mind carrying one device instead of two, however, I seriously doubt I would want to rely on a non-replaceable battery. I always carry more than one set of spares for my gps and and at least one extra set for Spot (it uses AAAs, so I could even pull them out of my headlamp if necessary, as I usually also have a 1-oz micro headlamp for backup.)

Usb chargers with built-in batteries are very common these days. As a plus, the batteries are lithium and the energy density is incredible compared to alkalines. Most have "fuel gauges" so you can check them out before and during a hike. As far as I know, they still make AA-to-USB chargers as well.

Last edited:

Actually, the whole point of the non replaceable batteries is that they can be relied on in an emergency. The batteries can be checked before a hike and you are supposed to do a monthly check. It's one thing to replace batteries when all is going well and quite another to try do it in a dire emergency such as Kate Matrosova experienced. In those dire situations the only thing you want to be thinking about is getting the unit turned on.

Every airplane is equipped with transponders with "permanent batteries". PLBs are similar. One of the major failure points of electronics is leakage of water into the battery compartment. If this can be eliminated the electronics are far more likely to survive. The batteries can be replaced by a certified technician who has been trained to appropriately open up the case, inspect the internals, test the equipment and then if everything is to spec, install a new battery then reseal the case. My PLB has got a limited test mode, push a button and it flashes which indicates that it is functional and the battery is above certain power level. At some point it will not flash and then its time to send it out. I expect that even though the battery is guaranteed for 7 years, this is the worse case. I expect at the end of seven years I will probably replace it rather than paying to have a new battery but will worry about that when it happens. Barring a strong point impact or crushing it I don't see a sealed piece of electronics getting physically damaged very easily.

I think non-removeable batteries may be ok in many circumstances:
  1. they are used in a PLB that does not get activated except for emergencies
  2. they are used in a GPS or satellite tracking device for dayhikes or when they can be easily recharged
  3. the owner is fine with carrying a USB battery pack.
After all there are millions of smartphone users who are happy recharging daily. USB battery packs also got much better and a lot cheaper recently. However, to be fair I must say that every few days I see a passenger on a NJ Transit train who pleads with a conductor that he is unable to activate his electronic train ticket because his phone is out of juice.

From a personal perspective, I occasionally go for multi-day backpacking trips with no access to electricity, so I find carrying spare AA & AAA batteries easier to deal with. On one of my backpacking trips I forgot to turn off my gps for the night and it was really not an issue since I just popped in another set of batteries a day earlier than I would otherwise. Even for day hikes it is easier for me not to worry how much charge I have in my gps knowing that I have spares I can use any time.

While I would never attempt the same winter hike Kate Matrosova did (realistically I think I lack skills as well as physical abilities to do this) every time I set out on a non-trivial day hike I recharge batteries in my Spot, so that I wouldn't have to deal with them in difficult situation such as weather turning bad.

Finally, one more thought on a single device combining GPS & satellite tracker - if the devices are separate the chance of both failing at the same time is probably pretty small, however, a single device going bad can be more of an issue, especially for a solo hiker. I guess a phone can be used as a gps backup but I generally prefer to keep its use down to minimum during my hikes.

I have used Spot 1 for going on 5 years, through hiked the JMT, Foothills Trail (SC), 50 miles along the AT Hundred Mile Wilderness, various other AT and Whites excursions. My wife and my sister have been able to plot my position from the Spot website and anticipate problems on occasion. When the batteries go bad the device flashes red. There are occasional skip zones in canyons, forests usually pretty good. Never used the rescue service, happy to say, but I did see choppers descend for injured parties in the Sierras. Not good for temperatures below -22 degrees, signal gets weak producing spurious positions. For family purposes quite a practical tool, but not for general communication.
Walt

You need to add the original "DeLorme InReach". It is a different device than the SE or Explorer. You can't buy it any more, but there are a lot still in use.

I'm an Inreach Satellite Communicator for SmartPhone "classic" user. It has no fancy display, no touchscreen, just a couple of buttons and lights.

Owned it for 4 1/2 years (April 2012)

Important features:

1) replaceable batteries. 2x AA size, can use Alkaline, NiMH, or Liithium. I always use lithiums, and always have at least a few spare sets. My GPS also uses AA lithiums.
(I hike a lot in winter, and most rechargeables are very slow & inefficient to recharge in the cold. I can pop a new set of AAs in in a matter of about 15 seconds).

2) 3 pre-programmed messages: "OK". "Stopping for the night", "Delayed, but fine".

3) big fat buttons are easy to use, but the SOS button has a lock to prevent accidents.

4) can link to smartphone (bluetooth) for free-form 2-way messaging.

5) long battery life when not using tracking. The manual says 60 hours while tracking, but I recall a firmware update several years ago that improved the battery usage. So when I'm hiking, it always stays on.

6) REMOTELY LOCATABLE. If I haven't checked in in a while, and the spouse gets worried, they can hit a button on the web page, which sends a round-trip message so the device reports its location w/o any interaction from the user (as long as it is on -- but I always send a "stopping" before powering down).

Features I don't care about:

1) realtime tracking. Nope. Never turned it on or activated a subscription that includes it.

Costs:

"Safety" plan currently runs about $12/mo, includes unlimited pre-set messages, pay-per-use free-form text messages.

Observations in use:

1. It does take time to sync up with the satellites when you first turn it on. So just leave it on all the time. The first message may take a while to get out if it's been off for a long time. The status lights confirm message transmission (2-way communication is good...)

2. tree cover can affect how long it takes. Since I don't stare obsessively at the blinking lights, I have no quantification.

For the first 3 years, I never even owned a smartphone that could pair with it. But since then, I've found several occasions where I was in a cell dead-zone where it was Reeeallly useful to be able to turn on the phone, and send a text through the InReach. I now sometimes carry the cell-phone (off) when hiking.

No, I don't want this device combined with my GPS. And I don't want a non-replaceable, rechargeable battery, which is why I haven't "upgraded" to the newer models.

I've been using the Delorme Inreach SE for 6 months now. I prefer it to the Spot Gen 3 used previously. It does have some problems though. The screen looks totally blank in bright sunlight. On several occasions on bushwhacks in remote areas I pressed the button to activate while stopped on sunny ledge taking a break. The device appeared totally dead. First thought being the unit lost its charge??? WTF? Then I remembered about the screen. Fortunately there was some shade nearby where lo and behold the screen had activated - it was just invisible. This could be a problem when hiking above treeline in bright sun and snow. Screen on my Samsung S7 also works poorly in bright sunlight. Garmins 60 and 62 screens work OK in different lighting conditions.

I would prefer unit with replaceable AA batteries so I have one less thing to remember when preparing for trips. I carry extra AA's and prefer to replace them on the fly. I don't use tracking. I prefer to send std text messages periodically.

It takes far less time to send messages with Inreach than Spot. Hence I tend to send messages more frequently. I've also found success rate to be better than with the Spot when I check email and text msgs later.

Last edited:
I've been using the Delorme Inreach SE for 6 months now. I prefer it to the Spot Gen 3 used previously. It does have some problems though. The screen looks totally blank in bright sunlight. On several occasions on bushwhacks in remote areas I pressed the button to activate while stopped on sunny ledge taking a break. The device appeared totally dead. First thought being the unit lost its charge??? WTF? Then I remembered about the screen. Fortunately there was some shade nearby where lo and behold the screen had activated - it was just invisible. This could be a problem when hiking above treeline in bright sun and snow. Screen on my Samsung S7 also works poorly in bright sunlight. Garmins 60 and 62 screens work OK in different lighting conditions.

I would prefer unit with replaceable AA batteries so I have one less thing to remember when preparing for trips. I carry extra AA's and prefer to replace them on the fly. I don't use tracking. I prefer to send std text messages periodically.

It takes far less time to send messages with Inreach than Spot. Hence I tend to send messages more frequently. I've also found success rate to be better than with the Spot when I check email and text msgs later.

I have no problems in bright sun with mine. Are you sure the brightness setting is high enough?