Personal experiences with emergency locator devices

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which device have you personally owned?

• PLB of any kind

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • SPOT 1

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • SPOT 2

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • SPOT Gen3

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • DeLorme InReach SE

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • DeLorme InReach Explorer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • EPIRB used on land

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
I checked Display brightness. It is set at 100%. Removing my sunglasses might be the answer. They are fairly dark. What with recent run of clouds & rain bright sunlight is exceptional situation. One other good feature is unit holds charge pretty long even when left on during a day hike. Leaving unit on can send text message more quickly making more likely I will send messages more frequently. If I had more accessible location to hang the unit on pack strap or so I can get at it more quickly without removing the pack. That would be great. If only I could sew something on the thick pack strap.

Last edited:
I checked Display brightness. It is set at 100%. Removing my sunglasses might be the answer. They are fairly dark.

Chances are they're also polarized and the display is almost certainly polarized. Try rotating the unit 90 degrees and see if it looks any better.

I checked Display brightness. It is set at 100%. Removing my sunglasses might be the answer. They are fairly dark. What with recent run of clouds & rain bright sunlight is exceptional situation. One other good feature is unit holds charge pretty long even when left on during a day hike. Leaving unit on can send text message more quickly making more likely I will send messages more frequently. If I had more accessible location to hang the unit on pack strap or so I can get at it more quickly without removing the pack. That would be great. If only I could sew something on the thick pack strap.

I get 2-3 hikes out of a charge leaving it on for 10-12 hours at a time and in tracking mode. Battery life on these units is quite good.

I'm pretty sure the sunglasses aren't polarized. They are prescription - not off the rack. You think the screen might be polarized? Good suggestion though. I'll check it out this weekend.

If you're paying for prescription sunglasses and didn't specifically ask for them to be unpolarized, I'd be surprised if they were. LCD and related technology displays are polarized; it's part of the way the tech works.

If you're paying for prescription sunglasses and didn't specifically ask for them to be unpolarized, I'd be surprised if they were. LCD and related technology displays are polarized; it's part of the way the tech works.

Long time ago I ordered new sunglasses with polarizing. I recall now how display on my Cateye bike computer used to used to have all these rainbow colors. I thought something was wrong with the unit until I figured out it was the polarizing in the sunglasses causing it. used to do odd things with car windshield too. I've never ordered sunglasses with polarizing since.