Personal experiences with emergency locator devices

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which device have you personally owned?

• PLB of any kind

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • SPOT 1

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • SPOT 2

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • SPOT Gen3

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • DeLorme InReach SE

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • DeLorme InReach Explorer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • EPIRB used on land

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
- After the Kate Matrosova story, I'm convinced that the SPOT vs. PLB choice can be tantamount to life vs. death. Not good to have the possibility of a locational error as big as a mile. There's real rescue value in the transmission of an actual GPS location.
Alex

Alex,

It isn't clear to me if you are suggesting a SPOT or PLB is the better device for determining the GPS coordinates.

Was there a definitive report on the cause of the position error of Kate's device? I remember reading suggestions that the ambient temperature exceeded limits of the device. Was that proven or confirmed? Was the make and model reported?

My PLB claims to transmit the GPS coordinates to within 100 meters & have a homing beacon for the final local SAR search (assumes the local SAR has a receiver).

Kate's device (PLB) reported multiple locations when it is assumed it was actually stationary.

Geraldine Largay left her SPOT with her husband at the hotel before her trip.

Peter Hudson had a cell phone and may have had a SPOT device (the article seemed to imply he did).

<drift>I bring enough knowledge and gear to survive being benighted due to an immobilizing injury</drift>

Last edited:
I carry a dedicated PLB and have owned a Spot3 and a Delorme InReach. I found the SPOT3 to be highly inadequate in NH. I had frequent issues getting a signal to transmit a message, even in open woods at decent elevation and holding the unit up toward the sky. I also had issues on several hikes where I "successfully" transmitted messages according to the lights but neither my wife or I received the text email notifications. Once I got all my notifications at 10PM that night, hours after I got home. So I don't know if the issue is the unit itself or their infrastructure for processing the signals and forwarding messages. Had no faith in the unit whatsoever.

I love the InReach. Gets a much better signal and has been reliable. It transmits even carrying in a pants pocket. Haven't had a missed message yet and only a couple of times it took awhile to send my message. I even sent a message in under 20 seconds sitting inside the cabin on Cabot yesterday. I don't need to stop and wait, screw around aiming it up, etc. Just hit the button, toss it back in my pocket and keep moving. The added advantage of being able to type actual messages when necessary is very helpful too. My only concern with the InReach is that it doesn't feel as durable to me as the SPOT.

Back to my Spot Gen2 in the Yukon. I wrote a program that takes the coordinates and time given to my pit crew via Spot on the internet, and based on pre-planned arrival at that location along my paddling route, it predicts what time we will arrive at any future viewing location or the finish line. Internet is available at several locations along the pit crew driving route. It has proven accurate to within a few minutes of actual arrival time. Spot will occasionally (rarely) throw out a flyer data point, not far from predicted actual location, perhaps due to mountain multi-scatter of the signal, but the program easily recognizes it.

I've seen a lot of comments here and elsewhere about not being able to activate the signal on spots or it not going through. one reason might be that you have to hold the button down for about to 3 secs or until it starts flashing. says so in the owners manual, but i think it seems to be missed by some a lot. I wear mine on the upper part of shoulder strap of pack and send a signal every hour (without stoppping), more often when bushwacking or near cliffs, and get at least 90% sends with high accuracy. best gift wife ever gave me.

Be sure you are using AAA Lithium batteries with Gen2, as prescribed by the Gen2 instruction manual. Easily lasts for days in my experience (but on critical trips I pre-emptively change them every 2 days). The other thing is the unit shuts itself off after 24 hours of continuous operation, so be sure to recycle the power switch each day. (some on the Yukon races forget this)

Last edited:
My PLB claims to transmit the GPS coordinates to within 100 meters & have a homing beacon for the final local SAR search (assumes the local SAR has a receiver).

Been there, done that final search with the handheld receiver. It is a skill that requires practice to be effective and efficient, not unlike using an avalanche beacon.

My ACR ResQLink+ PLB is 1.6 X 1.9 X 4.5. It weighs 5.4 oz. The batteries are good for five years including monthly testing of the circuit and yearly of the Sat. reception. The only extra cost is battery replacement which right now is about $130. I figure that the cost is roughly $50 a year for the first five years and $25 a year for the next five years. That really isn't a bad price for a kind of life insurance policy. It transmits your GPS lat/lon at 406 MHz and has a homing beacon that transmits at 121.5 MHz. There is also an SOS strobe light. Since you never use it unless you need to be rescued you can't report on how well it works unless actually rescued but those who who have used it report a very high success rate. There is also, at least right now a 406 survivor club and if you legitimately use it and are saved your unit will be replaced free in exchange for a written story. As far as testing goes, the circuit test has been instantaneous. The one time I tested the GPS was under an open but very cloudy sky. It took roughly 20 seconds to get a satellite confirmation from a cold start. It was pretty impressive. I'm very satisfied with the unit, but even more satisfied that I've never had to use one. :)

Was there a definitive report on the cause of the position error of Kate's device? I remember reading suggestions that the ambient temperature exceeded limits of the device. Was that proven or confirmed? Was the make and model reported?
The article
Stott, Sandy, "Looking for Kate", Appalachia, vol LXVII, no 2, Summer/Fall 2016, pp 64-79
reports that Matrosova carried an ACR ResQLink+. Subsequent tests of the same model (presumably a different unit) showed the locations to be accurate when the beacon and antenna was upright, but varied when it was on its side. (Matrosova's was found on its side. One can only speculate whether she set it up that way or it blew over. The first location was accurate, the following 5 were not, and the final 4 agreed with the first.)

Personal experience with GPSes has shown some of the modern ones to be much more tolerant of bad orientation, bad placement, and poor skyview than some of the older ones (state-of-the-art consumer technology in their day...). I have no info on the details of the GPS technology in the ResQLink+, whether is is up to modern standards or not.

There is also the question of sensitivity to the orientation of the transmitting antenna. A poorly oriented antenna could result in a weak signal and increase the probability of a data transmission error which could show up as an erroneous location.

None of these technologies is foolproof. IMO, one is better off thinking of them as a second chance rather than as a guaranteed rescue.

Doug

One further thought When NOAA receives the distress message from ResQLink NOAA will contact a previously registered person to inform them of the distress call and to find out what information they might have concerning your outing.

Happy with my SPOT. I upgraded the $50 to get tracking (courtesy of my Dad at Xmas each year).... which is cool... as you can give a link to spouses or friends, who can see your progress, and know that you are moving forward. I also like the custom message, which I've configured to: "Running late. All is okay." There is a small learning curve. I see some users with a SPOT dangling from their backpack... but my understanding is that the unit works best when it faces the sky... so I keep it turned on in the "brain" of my pack, facing upward. I don't tend to go out in dangerous weather, but I do bushwhack... and I have enjoyed this unit.

When I was thinking about buying Spot I considered several factors:
  1. posting my location to my family and/or frineds
  2. tracking
  3. accuracy
  4. cost
  5. weight
Basically, my wife rarely cares about my hike details, so I send Custom message from where I parked my car. I programmed it to say "Parked/Set up camp here." I then turn on tracking and I think this is significant for two reasons: a) it provides my hike history which may give some useful information if something goes wrong, b) it sends my location even if I got injured to the point that I wouldn't be able to access my Spot and turn on SOS messaging. Tracking also allows me to verify my Spot accuracy and reliability in variety of terrain and conditions. Over time I have found that my Spot sent out erroneous locations at times and also I had some gaps over 1hr in locations that were sent. Most recently the locations seemed to be ok (not always perfect but ok) however my son was doing a Presidential Range Traverse in August and there was pretty long gap in coverage (about 2 hours), so there is room for improvement here.

Since personally I don't care about 2-way messaging Spot seemed to be the cheapest option for tracking and that's what I chose. It is also lighter and smaller than inReach and that also added to the equation in my case.

Since personally I don't care about 2-way messaging
While you may not need 2-way messaging in normal situations, 2-way communication can be very useful in an emergency.

When I broke my leg while BC skiing, I was able to reach 911 with my cellphone*. I was able to tell the 911 operator my exact location, condition, and what the rescuers needed to bring. (There was someone else with me who could have skied out to call in the rescuers, but I would have been left alone and it would have added at least 2 hrs to the response time.) It only took ~1.5-2 hrs for two rescuers to arrive with a snowmobile, a sled, and a leg brace. Because of the the 2-way communication it was a simple evacuation in minimal time using a minimum of resources.
* One could argue that a cellphone (when it can contact a tower) or a satphone is the ultimate emergency locator device...

Studies have also shown that voice communication is much more effective than textual communication in problem solving. (Text is certainly better than a simple "I need help and I am at <location>" and is adequate for simple situations, but if the situation is complex 2-way voice would have a significant advantage.)

Doug

Last edited:
Happy with my SPOT. I upgraded the $50 to get tracking (courtesy of my Dad at Xmas each year).... which is cool...
How much faster does the tracking wear down batteries. I've thought of paying for this but not if it drains the Li batteries fast.

I also like the custom message, which I've configured to: "Running late. All is okay." There is a small learning curve. .
I use the OK button for "Im on the trail" and send a signal every hour or so. I use the custom msg button for "I am either at a trailhead or at a peak/destination." I customized the "help" button to "I have had some problems and may be real late , but DON'T send in the calvery"

How much faster does the tracking wear down batteries. I've thought of paying for this but not if it drains the Li batteries fast.
I've had Gen2 running continuously with tracking for as much as 3 days, and i think there was more life yet before changing batteries (although as I mentioned it has to be reset every 24 hours or it will shut itself down). Normally when I use spot, where it is required to be tracking (as it is during the Yukon races), i will replace the batteries after every 2 days of operation. Paddling 1000 miles in 6 days I replaced batteries twice (Lithium).

My pit crew understands that the "help" button means we are safe, but unable to continue the race to the end, so meet us at the next possible take-out access (which could be as much as a couple hundred miles yet downriver). As long as tracking shows us as still moving, if only limping, we are ok. Haven't had to use that function, yet. "SOS" means send in the cavalry to our current location to get us out of trouble.

Last edited:
I've been using Spot Gen 3 for 2-3 years for reasons many hikers use it. Similar to Beth Z I try to avoid hiking in risky weather, but I have a passion for off-trail navigation. Due to hectic work and family life I have hard time juggling schedules with collaborators so I'm going solo most of the time. I'm also NOT list oriented. Enough-said about that.

SPOT has been pretty good. To conserve battery life I generally leave it off and only send I'M OK messages from time to time to my wife. Deep valleys and tree cover results in many messages going un-received. SPOT has always seemed really slow and uncertainty of sending makes it seem shaky to me.

I've been hearing good things about Inreach so I thought I would give it a try. I too was attracted by having option to send text messages to offer flexibility to better suit variety of situations one gets into. I ordered it earlier this year, but haven't had free time until this Christmas break to activate the device and start playing with it. Preliminary impressions are very favorable. As follows:

IMO Subscription rates and terms are very reasonable. I opted for the $12/month option. I think the cost for additional text messages ($.50 each)and tracking points ($.10 point) is very reasonable. I don't intend to use the tracking very much, but would be nice to have the option to do so in event a particular outing entails some extra risk. Circumstances might result in my not being very active for any given month or maybe I'll get lucky and get out alot. The base plan handles this very well.

I like the way I got an invoice for services rendered from Delorme listing charges and yes state and federal taxes. I've never gotten that from Spot.

I started testing message function today. I went to Home Depot with my son Peter this afternoon and sent a test message to him standing there in the nice open sky in the parking lot. He received his text message in something like 1 minute.

I like the way Spot's emails give recipients option to click on link which takes the recipient to map web page showing your location. Inreach also does this. Peter clicked on the link and one is take immediately to internet map page showing location with options for aerial, topo, or street map.

Accuracy appears to be impressive as well. I sent a test message from our back deck placing the unit on the deck railing to my wife. The message my wife received showed my location as being right on the deck railing as verified by aerial photo. I tried same test on myself and my location was within 5 feet of the deck railing as verified in the aerial photo view.

The Inreach has square arrow button similar to Garmin Map GPS family, but the action of the arrow button is not as good as the Garmin arrow button. It is too easy to select the wrong action. I've always found the Garmin arrow key very easy to use especially with light weight gloved hand such as typically used in winter. I've been using my phone as GPS to cut down on weight with my bad hip, but now that winter is here and hip all better I find the phone GPS is STUPID as you have to take the gloves off to operate. Phone is still ok to take pictures though....

The communication port cover is weak. It doesn't seem like it seals very well and looks like it will easily pop open in field conditions. Otherwise the unit appears to be fairly rugged.

Hopefully now that Delorme has been bought by Garmin, they will replace the klugy Delorme arrow key with Garmin's arrow key. Hopefully long range Garmin will come out with a single GPS unit that combines good features of Delorme and Garmin MapGPS into one unit. That would be an example of synergy.

I am looking forward to trying this device out on the trail this weekend. I think the fact that the unit has an actual external antenna contributes to superior message sending. One can wear the unit from a sternum strap and antenna always points up towards the sky whereas the Spot in the pack lid could be pointing in any direction. Tracking at 30 minute intervals may be good option at $.10/point. Then one doesn't have to always try to remember to turn on the unit and send a message like I do now with SPOT.

Last edited:
While you may not need 2-way messaging in normal situations, 2-way communication can be very useful in an emergency.

I should probably rephrase it a bit - I don't care enough to pay the extra premium for it. I wouldn't communicate with my wife since I reason that she would not be able to help me in any way. Being able to communicate with rescuers obviously is advantageous but just beyond what I want to pay for the service.

There is actually one more criterion that I forgot to mention in my original post:

6. user replaceable batteries, preferably of standard size

This matters on longer backpacking trips (although Spot claims that a set of batteries should last 2 weeks with tracking.) I also changed my batteries mid-hike in cold temperatures when I started my hike with partially used batteries.

I should probably rephrase it a bit - I don't care enough to pay the extra premium for it. I wouldn't communicate with my wife since I reason that she would not be able to help me in any way. Being able to communicate with rescuers obviously is advantageous but just beyond what I want to pay for the service.

There is actually one more criterion that I forgot to mention in my original post:

6. user replaceable batteries, preferably of standard size

This matters on longer backpacking trips (although Spot claims that a set of batteries should last 2 weeks with tracking.) I also changed my batteries mid-hike in cold temperatures when I started my hike with partially used batteries.

When I was using the SPOT3 the batteries lasted for quite awhile. Many hikes plus the downtime in between without charging. I used both lithium ion and rechargeables in the SPOT. Both lasted a long time and both gave me problems transmitting. Based on others comments it would appear that a less than full charge affects the reliability of sending messages.

The InReach has a USB charged battery that I also get numerous hikes on. I took it to Baxter this year and after 4 days of continuous use it still showed about 40% life left. How low the battery is has not affected my message sending in any way. Couple this unit with a portable charger and you could go quite a long time away from an outlet with the InReach.

I used a SPOT Connect (discontinued model, used a smartphone as user interface) for about three years, or should I say tried to use. My wife was not interested in looking at a track on a web page so I sent messages periodically (which were prewritten and selected on the phone, or typed and sent). This product had a great concept but the software and hardware were not up to the task. Often I got home and found out the messages were not received. I now think I should have had tracking running all the time even though I was not using it. The redundancy of SPOT's 10 minute tracking helps minimize the likelihood of a bad location or failed transmission. I found that I had to be stationary with excellent sky view and wait for several minutes, e.g., stopped on a summit or there was a high probability that either the GPS position or satellite transmission would fail (either prevents a successful message).

Five weeks ago I got a inReach SE and I am really impressed. It works so much better. A very important feature is a "whistle" reply from the satellite that the message was received. On a summit the reply is in a few seconds before I even put the device back in its holder. Other times it may be a minute or two, but unlike SPOT it gets through. Delorme mentions redundancy in sending if the inReach doesn't get the reply (but don't say what the interval or retry attempts are). The tracking feature also works very well with almost no lost time intervals (by viewing the exported tracklog in a track editor program, such as Garmin's Mapsource or Basecamp). I have also overlaid the tracks with simultaneously-acquired handheld Garmin tracklogs. They are as closely similar as could be expected for consumer devices, certainly close enough for a rescuer to find you easily.

Winter temperature and battery power are not a problem (mounted on a pack strap) even below zero F, but of course the phone needs to be kept close to the body or it will shut down. Inreach has three prewritten messages synced to the device which are quick and easy to send with minimal gloves-off time. I only write a custom message with the phone infrequently, but it does work (if the phone doesn't shut down). I agree that the selection rocker is touchy and doesn't always go in the desired direction. This should be an easy fix.

Overall, as a former SPOT Connect user I am completely satisfied with inReach SE. The web viewing and user control sites are excellent, unlike the clunky software operated (and never improved) by SPOT for years. Technologically, SPOT is years behind at this point and haven't introduced a new product since SPOT 3 in what, three years? They are just milking the high-margin subscription service while they can.

The InReach has a USB charged battery that I also get numerous hikes on. I took it to Baxter this year and after 4 days of continuous use it still showed about 40% life left. How low the battery is has not affected my message sending in any way. Couple this unit with a portable charger and you could go quite a long time away from an outlet with the InReach.

There are many options when setting up the InReach on a continuum that ranges from (1) maximizing battery life, (2) striking an appropriate midway balance between battery life and frequency of communicating with messages and your position/track or (3) sending so many updates to social media that many of your acquaintances (perhaps even family members) won't mind much if the battery expires shortly before you do ...