Anyone Been In The Presidentials This Weekend?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Calling for some really nice weather tomorrow so I'm contemplating hitting one of the Presidentials. Not seeing really anything on the trip report sites for the past month and nothing of late. If anyone has been out and can comment on condition of parking lots, trail status, drifting, etc it would be really appreciated. Thinking of Monroe/Washington or maybe Jefferson.

I did the Pierce to Eisenhower loop yesterday (up Crawford Path to Pierce and Eisenhower, descended via Edmands Path and walked out Mt Clinton Rd.).

Crawford Path to Pierce was packed solid, traction helpful in a couple spots. Crawford path to Eisenhower, Edmands, and most of Mt Clinton Rd were unbroken. I think I was the only one on the ridge between Pierce and Eisenhower. The drifts on the ridge were brutal.

Last edited:
plenty of info here:

http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com

I would imagine the presies are well-broken out by now

Interesting. There was only one report as of 7PM when I last checked Sunday. Must have been a lot of late posts. I wound up doing Monroe and Washington. Was a spectacular day and conditions were pretty good. The Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail drifted pretty far left of the actual trail toward the top though. Not sure if that was an erroneous trail breaker everyone followed or a necessity of Winter. First time I do in Winter.

I did the Pierce to Eisenhower loop yesterday (up Crawford Path to Pierce and Eisenhower, descended via Edmands Path and walked out Mt Clinton Rd.).

Crawford Path to Pierce was packed solid, traction helpful in a couple spots. Crawford path to Eisenhower, Edmands, and most of Mt Clinton Rd were unbroken. I think I was the only one on the ridge between Pierce and Eisenhower. The drifts on the ridge were brutal.

That's what I feared. Everything above treeline today was actually pretty firm. Wore snow shoes to hut but switched to crampons and stayed in them rest of day. The areas in the ledges/trees on Ammo were looser snow but not one drift. Was expecting that to be a tough area. I did fall into one spruce trap up to my waist though. I had crampons on so I got out pretty easily. On the descent there were lots of alternate paths "spidering" along the ledges and steep spots. Down low it was still pretty powdery for the most part but there was a nice channel. Very glad I just went ahead and stuck to the plan.

Watch the slippery slopes!

Monroe was very firm but not icy until flats on top. There was also a very lengthy side slope (with a pretty steep run out to the rocks) shortly after leaving the lakes on Crawford Path that was rock hard and tough on the ankles. Incident free for the day though.