Looks like a microspike weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given the forecast for the next two weeks I expect the trail conditions are going to be hard to beat for hikers (not so good for skiers)

I did Owl's Head today and I doubt the track could have been better. It could easily have been bare booted the entire way (I wore spikes and gave my snowshoes a nice long free ride).

How the heck did I miss you? Did you get such an early start you were past camp before we got up? We slept in dang late and only saw one group of two and another of one until we got back to the Lincoln Woods trail.

I'm not sure I would have barebooted that. Spikes the whole way. Lincoln Woods was wavy concrete, murder on the feet.

Re Davis path adoption: The 4k committee's trail maintenance ambitions have gotten closer to home as the people who actually do the work have gotten a little less spry. I have their old section but have had a hard time keeping myself in good enough shape to be up to hauling a full load out there three times a year...been a bad couple of years for foot injuries, working on addressing that.

How the heck did I miss you? Did you get such an early start you were past camp before we got up? We slept in dang late and only saw one group of two and another of one until we got back to the Lincoln Woods trail.

I'm not sure I would have barebooted that. Spikes the whole way. Lincoln Woods was wavy concrete, murder on the feet.

Re Davis path adoption: The 4k committee's trail maintenance ambitions have gotten closer to home as the people who actually do the work have gotten a little less spry. I have their old section but have had a hard time keeping myself in good enough shape to be up to hauling a full load out there three times a year...been a bad couple of years for foot injuries, working on addressing that.

I think I left trail head around 6:30AM and got back to car around 3-3:30 PM or thereabouts. It was quiet out there. I overtook a woman about 1.5 miles up the Lincoln Woods Trail and we wound up hiking together out and back, which worked out quite well having someone to talk to on that relatively long and boring hike (especially the dreaded straightaways of LW - my all time unfavorite trail). Only saw 1 other day hiker and a couple that had camped out at the junction with the Brutus Bushwhack that was heading out. I was fairly surprised for such an ideal day that really nobody was out there. Was an ideal day to do Owl's Head if you were so inclined.