Split-finger mittens: 1+1+3 or 1+2+2?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iAmKrzys

Reaction score
I'm looking at split-finger mittens. Since I never had them I would like to hear from anyone who uses them, or tried and didn't like them. What features should I pay attention to? Is 1+1+3 split better than 1+2+2? If 1+1+3, is it practical to move index finger to the other 3 to warm it up a bit if needed? Is Gortex worth it in mittens, or should they just be water proof? Any preferred brands / models? Does anyone have REI split-finger mittens or Outdoor Research High Camp?

Just curious, why? Have you considered something like 'glomits'?

I already have "glomits" but I found them not warm enough for cold weather. Also, it seems like snow would stick to them pretty well and once it melted they would get wet and feel cold. More recently I have been using Black Diamond Windbloc gloves which seem to get wet from snow slower but still not perfect especially when it's cold.

I have some Black Diamond 1+1+3 and yes, I can move my index finger in with the rest of the family. Note that these are essentially my "oh crap" mittens as they are way too warm and restrictive for active use.

Tim

Have you tried mitten shells over your gloves? I've found that was a pretty effective active combo.

I have not tried mitten shells. I carry regular mittens in my pack but prefer to use 5-finger gloves because they make operating my gps much easier. I'm hoping that split-finger mittens would be a compromise between warmth of mittens and dexterity given by gloves, and I could stop carrying the extra pair in the process.

I'm looking at split-finger mittens. Since I never had them I would like to hear from anyone who uses them, or tried and didn't like them. What features should I pay attention to? Is 1+1+3 split better than 1+2+2? If 1+1+3, is it practical to move index finger to the other 3 to warm it up a bit if needed? Is Gortex worth it in mittens, or should they just be water proof? Any preferred brands / models? Does anyone have REI split-finger mittens or Outdoor Research High Camp?

If you are looking for the ability to use your fingers, I might suggest mittens with a side zip. I've found them to be useful in combination with a light glove. Most of the hand stays in the mitten which really reduces heat loss.

Those wore down on me eventually, so now I use medium weight gloves with a large mitten shell (with heavy gloves in my pack as backup). I generate enough heat when I am moving that I am usually barehanded, so our situations might be different. Good luck!

Last edited:
I have some Black Diamond 1+1+3 and yes, I can move my index finger in with the rest of the family. Note that these are essentially my "oh crap" mittens as they are way too warm and restrictive for active use.

Tim

It's good to know that you can move the index finger. Also, I get that they are "too warm", but I wonder a bit about "restrictive" part - would they be ok (or marginal) on a steeper trail section that would require grabbing onto some rock?

If you are looking for the ability to use your fingers, I might suggest mittens with a side zip. I've found them to be useful in combination with a light glove. Most of the hand stays in the mitten which really reduces heat loss.

Those wore down on me eventually, so now I use medium weight gloves with a large mitten shell (with heavy gloves in my pack as backup). I generate enough heat when I am moving that I am usually barehanded, so our situations might be different. Good luck!

A side zip looks like an interesting idea - I have never seen mittens like this, so I am intrigued. I guess I wonder a bit if keeping the index finger out of the glove frequently were comfortable enough or would I get tired of it after a while.

I have a few sets surplus of "1+1+3" wool liner "shooting" gloves and matching waterproof shells.
They used to be easy to find. Not so much currently. They are all I use in winter.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...lus-wool-shooting-gloves-new-4-pack?a=1895296

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/109598513161568691075/album/AF1QipOCsH1fzQRmQGnf8u5x9HgCEykv0tZuxc3ILoGc/AF1QipMODKTQdcWRMJBwOGZ0o--jcdJlsEx9LIYVlh98

Some models I looked into also have liners e.g. https://www.rei.com/product/871653/outdoor-research-highcamp-3-finger-insulated-gloves-mens, so I guess they would be comparable. Good to know you are happy with them. Thanks for the info.

I haven't tried split-finger mittens. I wear fleece gloves most of the time, and put on shell mittens over them if it gets cold or windy. The shell mittens have idiot cords on them, which I secure to my wrist. If I need to use my GPS or whatever, it literally takes 1 second to slip the shell mitten off, and I don't need to hold it with the idiot cord secured, so both hands are free and there's no chance it'll blow away. Then it's maybe 3-5 seconds to slip it back on again and secure the closures.

I use the Marmot convertible gloves on most of my Winter hikes : http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-windstopper-convertible-glove

They keep my hands very warm, even when they get fairly wet. I'll use with a very light liner glove or nitrile gloves depending on conditions. Because the individual fingers all have separate openings my hands remain pretty warm even if it is super cold and if my hands are getting warm while I hike I can just flip them open to vent some heat. If it is really cold I'll throw my Goretex gloves over them (less the liner which is essentially an all fleece version of the Marmot glove anyway) much like everyone else.

I have a pair of OR mittens, and the liners have a feature which allows you to slide the liner insulation on and off the fingertips just like the hood on a jacket. This allows for instant dexterity.