This Rescue is REALLY Pathetic...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
I had to READ THIS twice to make sure I got it.

Two questions:

* What are friends for?
* Should there be a multiple choice test at all major trail heads?

1. Are you an idiot? (Y, N, Sometimes, Not sure)
2. Is it getting dark? (Y, N, Maybe)
3. Are your sneakers waterproof? (Y, N, Toes only)
4. Are you easy to carry? (Usually, Not when wet, Why?)
5. Can you pay for a rescue if needed? (N, I have to pay?", They''ll never take me alive!)

Q. "Are you easy to carry?" A. "Not when wet."
Well done ChrisB. It's actually easier if you are frozen stiff.
Nice view if you can slog that 1.8 miles.
IMG_0053.jpg

What's next? Calling for rescue from the trail head when you forget which way to get back on the highway as the sun sets?

Mt. Pemigewasset, also know to locals as " The Savage Mountain". Standing at a lung busting 2,557 ft. above see level. It's seemingly tranquil start, lulls unsuspecting hikers to it's deadly clifftop. Constantly battered with intense winter storms, that will wear you down to near death in minutes. Beware and be prepared or the Indian will rear it's ugly head and get you!!!:eek:

Interesting, not that the unprepared go out, we all know that they do, usually without serious consequence but if there is no snow in NYC, CT, RI and Boston, there is only an inch or two in the Whites. :D

Surprising that SAR took so long to reach a popular trailhead. Just throwing questions out there, did they think it was so easy a self rescue was probable? Were they busy elsewhere? How much lead time do they need? Thinking that if you need a rescue, say assume you fall and seriously injury a leg, how long do you need to stay still and wait for rescue once you call or activate your beacon? Believe one of us had to wait quite some time on the Livermore trail......

Last edited:
Surprising that SAR took so long to reach a popular trailhead. Just throwing questions out there, did they think it was so easy a self rescue was probable? Were they busy elsewhere? How much lead time do they need? Thinking that if you need a rescue, say assume you fall and seriously injury a leg, how long do you need to stay still and wait for rescue once you call or activate your beacon? Believe one of us had to wait quite some time on the Livermore trail......
If you are referring to my accident (broken leg while XC skiing on the Livermore Tr):
* Livermore trail connects to the commercial Waterville Valley XC area, so rescue equipment (snowmobile, sled, and leg brace) was close at hand. The trail is actually a logging/fire road all the way past the accident site (usually) easily traveled by a snowmobile.
* My call went in while the XC area was open, so rescue personnel were on duty. (The on-site responders were a ski patroller and state(?) policeman. One or two more, a backup snowmobile, and an ambulance were at the trailhead when I arrived.)
* There were one or two large blowdowns (tree trunks) blocking Livermore Tr that they had to get around.
* I was able to tell them where I was, my injuries, and what they needed to bring.

They arrived on scene 1.5-2 hours after I made the call to 911. IMO, this was really fast, rather than quite some time...

Doug

Last edited:
Thanks DougPaul, it is quick for a reply out on the trail. Thinking the unprepared would not have the gear to sit for 90 to 120 minutes after calling in. I good call to SAR made the searching part pretty short too.

They do great work, just thinking the unprepared are thinking rescues work on the same time frame as they do in their neighborhood.

Thanks for sharing

from the article-

Hikers are typically responsible for the cost of rescues unless they hold a Hike Safe card.

so I can head out in jeans and sneakers and as long as I have my card, I don't have to worry about paying for a potential rescue?

I didn't think the card covered negligence?

I thought the hike safe card covered negligence but not reckless actions.?

So were the hikers in this rescue negligent or reckless? To the readership of the board I expect we may agree reckless but for the general public at large I expect negligent. I don't think fish and game has been challenged in court enough to really see where the definitions are established.

Last edited:
Until the reckless are well represented to contest on their behalf, the definitions are not likely to be contested. I suspect in cases where they may be legally represented, we likely will continue to see closed settlements.